RIP Vin Garbutt

RIP Vin Garbutt

It’s been reported on the "Mudcat cafe" website that Tees-side singer / songwriter / guitarist / whistle player Vin Garbutt has departed from us. Vin was one of the most popular singers and musicians on the UK folk scene for over 40 years, a great singer, a perceptive - and on occasions controversial - songwriter, a great entertainer, and on the tunes, a player with a unique whistle style. I honestly can’t think of anyone like him on the UK folk scene today, and his wit and humour will be sorely missed.
May he rest in peace.

Posted by .

Re: RIP Vin Garbutt

Great shame. He will be sadly missed. Fiddle Aunt and I saw him many times in Durham in the late 70’s and early 80’s. A great entertainer with a fund of witty stories and excellent songs. Rest in peace.

His introductions to songs were brilliant - I remember one to a song about an elopement which began, ‘My name it is Hugh Jackson - I come from honest parents; Near Cavan I was born, as you may plainly see. For the courting of a maid, Miss Katherine McCabe, my life has been betrayed - she’s a dear maid to me.’
His prologue to this song was full of puns on Hugh and ‘who’, and very funny. But the tragic nature of the song came out later when he sang it.

And I remember the satirical way he used to talk about ‘the pretendy last one’, because everybody knew there’d be an encore.
He stayed on stage as long as he possibly could - and very welcome it was to the audience too.

Rest in peace.

"I honestly can’t think of anyone like him on the UK folk scene today, and his wit and humour will be sorely missed."

Totally agree. A great entertainer who had that special knack of leaving you with your heart thoroughly warmed.

The Young Tin Whistle Pest - another good man down. Usually thought of as a songwriter, I always thought his whistle playing was underrated

Great player and singer. RIP

Seen him on several occasions over the years, and always a great evening’s entertainment: another one who could have made his living as a stand-up comedian, but he also had very thought-provoking songs as a bonus!
The time that stands out in my memory is when he played at the last ever Both Sides the Tweed Festival in Selkirk (? about 2005 or 6): he had just been back from a near-death experience among his various encounters with the NHS. His description of his illness then and subsequent recovery had everyone rolling in the aisles!
RIP Vin!

Sad news indeed.

One of the nicest guys you could meet in the business. He even bought me a pint once. 😉

His banter between songs was legendary but there was always a very serious side to his performance too. Great, well crafted songs, even the more controversial ones. Sadly, we’ll not see his likes again but he’ll never be forgotten.

Condolences to Pat, family, and all his many friends.

Just remembered an example of Vin’s wit in introductions. I think the song was "Molly With The Dark Brown Hair". He’s talking about the releationship between Molly’s mother and Molly’s "true love" :
"Molly’s mother didn’t think much of Molly’s true love. She thought he should have been damn well hung - and in fact, he was" 🙂

Posted by .

Or the one when the athletics were on TV in the pub. The guy next to him said "Look, there’s Fatima Whitbread" and then proceeded to pick out a lump of lard from his pint…

At Inverness Folk Festival, he had everyone in stitches when he said that he had to pass Petty West church on the way to the gig,. "Is that where the Tornagrain Christians go?" he asked.
You have to know the area. 🙂

Just wandering, could someone tell me the name of the first tune in the set of the second video?
That was some great playing!

Thanks

Posted by .