Identify this melodeon

Re: Identify this melodeon

400 ……….euros ? us dollars? Japanese yen? if its uk £ it looks nice enough but without knowing anything
about the maker its a gamble. Italian boxes often have a half row of accidentals like that

Pardon me Christy, 400 euros. The seller accepted it as a trade when selling a concertina.

I think these were sometimes marketed in Ireland as "the wren."
I thought they were Chinese but with Italian reeds!
I have an Eb made in Italy (organetto) which looks like these.

Posted by .

Should be easy enough to confirm the key, and if reasonably in tune. For Irish, D is the desirable single row. As well as D, most G tunes can also be played (takes a bit more practice) as well as some A tunes (along with relative modals/minors. e.g. E dor is fairly easy.
If it really does play/sound well, then I can’t believe it could possibly be bought for anything less than at least double new, so you may be getting a bit of a bargain simply because it doesn’t have a fancy top Italian makers name on it. Although looks like it could be from one of the iItalian workshops, so do some Chinese made ‘Italian style’ (and sometimes Italian reeded) instruments. However, even these, if of reasonable quality would likely cost if new significantly more than this one.
If its in good condition, and you like the sound and the action, would have thought well worth buying at 400 euros, regardless of make. Melodions are not my main instrument, so hopefully you may get further, (more informed) advice from others with more knowledge than I have.

Thanks all.

Don’t know the maker but looks like an Organetto made for Italian trad the half row is usually reversals. If it’s in D could make a useful box for Irish if the half row is converted to make it a partial C# row like the American DC#. What’s the one in the background.

Posted by .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OLQQp3co6FI

If the box is in Ireland I’m 90 percent sure it’s the same box that was marketed as the "wren" by McNeela Music as said in my first post.
I’ve heard they offered both normal reversals (as in an organetto) and a model with accidentals so ask to be sure which model it is.
Chinese made with Cagnoni reeds I think.
They show up occasionally on Done Deal sometimes for less than 400 euros.
I paid less for my Italian made Eb but it was used and in a less popular key.
My Eb is fun to play but lacks the punch (too forgiving action/ no Hohner clack) of a German style 1 row.

Posted by .