Tune ID from Sliotar (reels)

Tune ID from Sliotar (reels)

I heard this great driving reel on a recording by a band called Sliotar. I can’t figure out the name of the tune played right before the Star of Munster. It starts at 4:20 on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kb4QjE0rs

I’d appreciate it if anyone recognized it and could let me know, thanks!

Re: Tune ID from Sliotar (reels)

‘this video is not available’ I guess you ’ll not get any answers from the UK………………

I’ve spent the last 40 minutes combing through youtube trying to find another video, with no luck. I know that the above video, however, can also be found on spotify

I dunno!….. It sounded like a really weird version of Gatehouse Maid to me. the only tune I fully recognised was “The Star of Munster”. Maybe it’s my mood this morning, but the rest sounded like a lot of made-up gibberish to my ears. I didn’t like it whatsoever.

Posted by .

Yeah, after looking at the video it sounds like Green Groves of Erin. Thanks

OOPS… I apologise! I went back to listen again to see if it was indeed ’the Green Groves of Erin, and I realised that my speakers were distorting. On now hearing it properly I have to retract my previous review. I couldn’t even tell what instruments they were playing the first time.

Posted by .

Well, I’m with you Gobby it’s not my cup of tea either. What’s with the kids these days, substituting speed and manic energy for lift, lilt and feeling. Grumble grumble. They seem to be from the Czech Republic so good on them for giving it a go anyway (sez the Yank). For those of you keeping score at home, after an intro of free scalar improvising and note bending, they play a string of session warhorses:

At :45 I believe I can discern Miss Monaghan’s
At 1:46 they careen ointo The Mountain Road
At 2:27 they dive into The Rossmore Jetty (aka Father Kelly’s)
At 3:23 is The Sally Gardens
At 4:20 is The Green Groves of Erin
At 5:45 is The Star of Munster

You have better ears than me Joe, but I think that sums it all up.

Posted by .