I haven’t heard back yet from MK Whistles, but my Low D Pro went missing during transit…

I haven’t heard back yet from MK Whistles, but my Low D Pro went missing during transit…

One end was opened and missing the white cap, and it may have slipped out during transit. According to the US postal service, it arrived on our shores already damaged (i.e., opened and missing item). I just emailed them yesterday, but today, I happened to this: https://thesession.org/discussions/30179

It looks like this has happened before. Is this very common with Royal Mail? Would it have been better, as my sympathetic postal clerk mentioned, if the tube had been massively taped up, in addition to being just stapled? I didn’t send any pictures or video of the PO visit yet, but maybe I should. I’m just afraid of ordering any more things from the UK now, but I’ve not had problems when I ordered from Kerry Whistles or Shearwater in the past, so I wonder if it was theft, because the MK whistles are higher end ones. I’m really sad and disappointed. I had finally decided to get one and earned enough with my eBay selling to get this and some Tilbury alto whistles. I actually sat in the car and burst into tears, which I normally don’t do, and certainly not in public.

Posted by .

Re: I haven’t heard back yet from MK Whistles, but my Low D Pro went missing during transit…

Hi Mae,
Do you know whether the whistle was insured? If so you may be able to get your money back. I don’t often have problems with Royal Mail so I would say you’ve unfortunately been quite unlucky. Also the package may have been tracked which could help you find out exactly where the whistle went missing. Hopefully MK whistles will get back to you soon.

Posted by .

Re: I haven’t heard back yet from MK Whistles, but my Low D Pro went missing during transit…

I feel compelled to speak. The Royal Mail is a private corporation. Theft is up considerably since the privatization.
Similar experiments with the employment of private contract workers in the US in various geographic areas have had the same result. Career government employees have more to lose than ‘private, at-will’ contractor employeses’, and pilferage is less.
A simple search of loss statistics will be eye opening. The USPS handles billions of more pieces than the ‘Royal Mail’, and yet OVERALL has fewer instances of lost, destroyed, or pilfered pieces of mail.

I’m just posting to echo J.B. If the package was insured, Misha should be able to get the money and send you a replacement. Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much about shipments from the UK in general, as long as the shipments are adequately insured, and most makers and players know to insure for the full instrument worth. And I can relate, since I once purchased a low whistle from a C&F member only to receive an empty and re-taped tube. The shipment was only within the USA via FedEx, and the seller had to work out the loss claim.

True…I use USPS all the time for eBay and Etsy, and I’ve *knock on wood* never had a package get lost. I’ve had some instances of damage, but that’s it. The only time I’ve had any lost packages were things sent internationally, which is why I do not ship internationally for eBay anymore. I had 2 packages sent to someone "lost" in Singapore, though she mentioned that she suspected theft at her local PO, so she ate the cost. Not had any problems shipping to Spain or Canada. But I don’t like the risk.

The package did have standard shipping on it, and I opened an account at MK Whistles because I was going to order whistles in the future depending on how much I liked my low D. Now, I don’t know what I can do. They don’t have the color I want in stock anymore, but I will accept any color at this point.

Posted by .

Oops, make that "standard insurance on it".

Posted by .

If you haven’t already, definitely get in touch with Misha from MK.

I emailed last night already; I’ll wait for a reply before sending pictures because they take so much space.

Thanks, everyone, for the info and advice. 🙂

Posted by .

Bad luck for sure. My own experience has been better; I’ve had numerous parcels from Royal Mail successfully delivered here in the U.S., including an MK Pro low D and an expensive chanter. The chanter took six or eight weeks to clear customs, but still arrived in good shape.

At any rate, I hope you get another whistle.

I can only report on birthday cards sent from relatives in the UK to Ireland and arriving here with envelopes in a torn state. Relatives don’t send money now but that doesn’t stop somebody along the line, opening to have a look. Something I rarely see with internal post in Ireland, so yes I’d be suspicious of the Royal Mail.

Posted .

I have a set of drones from the EU sitting in Boston MA at a "delivery centre." Waiting to be picked up. They have been there for days and show no signs of moving. The problem? I live hundreds of miles from Boston, and have no idea of the address for the centre in order to pick up the drones. Contacting the shipper directly gained me a "not our problem" shrug. Grrr.

Maker has been contacted too, no reply yet.

Shipper meaning the courier - not the instrument maker!