Now I’ve retired…..?????

Now I’ve retired…..?????

Now all the goodbyes are over, and I’ve sat about for a week wondering what I’ve done and what there is to look forward to…..I realise I’ll probably still find learning the rest of the 1,000,000 tunes I want to learn just difficult.

Is there anyone else out there in the same position I wonder? Or anyone who has any hard earned advice on what pitfalls there are?

Sue

Re: Now I’ve retired…..?????

I don’t know your personal or financial circumstances, Suzie. However, don’t let people try to convince you that you need to get another job if you can afford not to work.
I’ve been retired for almost three years now and, even although I’m not the most energetic individual in the world, I still wonder how I managed to find time to work. It’s possible that I may decide to work again but it will have to be something I really enjoy—probably something involving music but not necessarily playing it.
I keep my mind well occupied and have plenty of interests, although I maybe spend too much time here. My playing and repertoire has, of course, improved greatly since I’ve had more time to practise but there’s always lots more to learn. Also, there’s a limit to how much practise and learning of tunes you can do-you don’t want to get saturated with them—so don’t expect miracles all at once.

Re retirement in general, I think the answer is to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. However, this doesn’t have to be "work". All the best for your retirement, Suzie.

Susie

I retired early (from choice) from a life-long - thirty years - career job. The worst thing I think you can do is not to expect there to be a void in your life. Trying to replace years of ‘routine’ and hard work with more routine, just to ‘do something’, is probably a mistake. It’s going to take far more than a week to stop missing the old job (and life). Maybe a year or more is more likely, it depends on your personal circumstances.

I have allowed myself to have plenty of doing nothing - and to not feel ahamed of ‘wating time’. It’s a concept put about by bosses, anyway! When I’d wasted enough time to become bored with doing nothing, I started to practice more, and even started a new business. But, I don’t work to the extent I once did.

So my advice is, do nothing until you’ve had enough, and then filling the gaps will come naturally.

Dave

Don’t stop playing music and don’t let your practice habits slip because you have more time. Stay focused on the music you enjoy, and use your free time to maintain your healthy body. This will become more and more important as you continue to age. I think I used to practice more efficiently when I was still working, but I’ve been retired now for ten years, so I can’t remember for sure. WB

After a meteoric ride rise to the middle of Canada’s federal Public Service I was offered, and took, early retirement in 1998. I had been with Canada’s national park and national historic site agency, Parks Canada for 26 years.

I have learned more tunes and do get to practice more but the great thing about retiring is that I can go sessions and stay as late as I want to. I can close the pub because I don’t have to get up to go to work. I do a bit of freelance writing and photography but I make sure that doesn’t get in the way of the music.

Having said that, I took on a contract this summer because I want a new flute. That leads into my only piece of advice=don’t take on too much.

All the best.

You want to know when life really begins? When the dog dies and the kids leave home!

I know it’s not exactly the same but I work in an industry where you work like crazy for 3 months, then potentially do nothing for 3 months and so on and so on. I’ve discovered a unique thing about all of us though. We either work, or renovate our houses. When we are working, we’re dreaming about the next room we’ll paint or how to build our deck or what stuff we can buy cheap off the film at the end to put into the work room in our garage. Then we have time off and we all renovate.

Posted by .

From your own profile:
"I’m just besotted with the fiddle. I’d play all day if I could."

Well now you can.

Problem solved - next question?

Dave

Thanks for the advice folks….. I like the idea of doing nothing Dave for a while till it gets boring. And I guess that ITM might be good for off-setting senile dementia. Could make an interesting study for some one!

PLUS, I’d no idea so many of you guys out there are ‘retired’. Made me feel better.

Sue.

Susie-Lee, I only had time to skim this post, so I apologize if I’m repeating advice. What about going back to college and taking classes in Irish History, Irish Culture, Irish Language, or the study of Irish Music? I’m nowhere ready to retire from my job, but if I could, I’d go back to school. My college degrees are in Accounting and Business Admin, but I’d love to study something I’m truly passionate about.

Best of Luck and I hope you get to play a ton of tunes!

Joyce

Posted by .

I’d love to do that JMH!! What a brilliant idea. I’m not sure how to go about it but I’ll search the net and find out what I can.

I’m a great self learner (have had to be) and have read loads of books on things Irish and maybe now a more in depth look would be the next step.
Thanks!

Sue.

There’s lots of other possibilties too, eg short traditional music courses, summer schools, work shop weekends, evening classes in trad music etc if you don’t want want to commit yourself to full time study. And don’t forget your local session. 🙂

Sue, based on my personal experience, I’d recommend having one or more interests or activities completely apart from music. And I’d also include regular (moderate) exercise - I view this as essential if, like me, you’ve spent a significant part of your working life sitting at a desk.

Trevor

I’ve just been reading an article in my local newspaper about a 73-year old lady in Bristol who has recently graduated from Bath Spa University College with an MA in Irish Studies, focusing on a comparison between those Irish women in the 19th century who chose to stay in Ireland and those who emigrated.
She did her MA five years after she completed her first degree in History and Creative Writing at the university college. The first degree was full-time and the MA part-time over two years. Now that her research is over she plans to concentrate on her creative writing.

Trevor

Really? Is her paper online, do you know?

Zina, I don’t know; but you could try contacting the Bath Spa University College, whose website is,
http://www.bathspa.ac.uk

Even if the dissertation isn’t online the uni may be able to put you in touch with the lady concerned. Her name is Patricia Heselgrove.
The information in this and my previous post came from the Bristol Evening Post.

Trevor

Thanks, Trev!