Octave harmonicas

Octave harmonicas

I’m looking to buy an octave harmonica in D but don’t want to pay a fortune. Seydel offers one around $100 but is there any cheaper or do I have to fork out?

Re: Octave harmonicas

I hate to say this, but a something gets more out of the ordinary, it tends to cost more, sadly. I do hope you do find one at a lower price than you have been quoted though. Good luck!

I think that the Seydel is the only one generally available new. Hohner used to make the Auto Valve octave in D, but have discontinued it. However, you can find some used AutoValves at times being offered on the web.

I just received my Seydel octave in D this week, and I have had an Autovalve in D for a long time. (I have some re-tuning in mind for one of them.) The Autovalve has the lower pitched plate on the top and the high pitch on the bottom. The Seydel is the other way around. For my playing, I like the Autovalve better. For me the top plate dominates and the Autovalve gives a rich full sound, while the Seydel does not generally. But I have been working to modify the way that I blow and can get the fuller sound on the Seydel if I am positioned just right. Perhaps I will get used to doing that. Maybe you may have a different outcome.

I just found out the Seydel is richtor tuned, so it has missing notes right, like a diatonic? It’s supposed to be suitable for ITM and folk, but with missing notes it’s going to be hard. That’s why I switched to chromatic in the first place. Maybe I will just go for a chromatic in D.

I haven’t played Seydel , I usually play Dannecker customized Hohner blues harps, but I also have several 48 hole Planetone Tremolo harmonicas in D and G, great for trad tunes and not expensive. Not sure what you mean by ‘missing notes’? - no it won’t have C , F or Bb but it will have all the notes of the D major scale
so as well as Dmaj you can play Amaj and Amix, plus E and Bmin. That covers you for a lot of tunes!

I’m having trouble finding Planetone tremolo D or G online. I tried a website called Acoustics but the link they directed me to has changed to something different.

Planetone are increasingly hard to get - I just ordered 2 Dale Song tremolos in D and G , Just as good as Planetones. In stock at Harmonicas Direct in Lancs, UK - I presume they ship to Oz - good luck!