List of Need to Know Tunes

List of Need to Know Tunes

Hello,

I am heading to Ireland for a few months and I want to make sure I have a nice base of common tunes I should have under my belt to have some fun around Ireland with. Open to all suggestions!

-WL

Re: List of Need to Know Tunes

Where to begin? Just listen to Clare FM. I’m sure they will play something that might help.

Sorry for such poor advice. Take me with you, please. ;)

Posted by .

This is a topic that seems to come up regularly and often. Shouldn’t be hard to find several lists.

Don’t we normally refer people to Dow’s list (wherever that is)?

Posted by .

@Coleman O’B: That album is fantastic, especially for more common session tunes played with drive.

Cheers,

Melany

Posted by .

As a possibly more interesting extension to this question: it would be nice to know if there are any surprisingly frequently recurring tunes at events like the recent Willie Clancy Week. What I mean is a tune that you might have thought "rare" (or never heard before) but is being played a lot at the different sessions. I do realize my definition is a bit loose but might throw up a few chestnuts that I might want to learn or resurrect.

I’ll have a think about that, Donough, and get back to you.

Posted by .

@Donough, I’ve chatted about that phenomenon before with several other musicians, specifically about the festival in Drumshanbo.

It always seems like there’s a ‘tune of the week’ that pops up at absolutely every session you sit in on, and that tune seems to change each year.

I’m not sure whether it’s influenced by whatever the most popular recording is at the time, or if it’s because we tend to play with a lot of the same musicians throughout the week, or because someone plays it at a session and everyone else thinks ‘I haven’t played this one in ages - it’s a cracker of a tune’, and then those players go on to spread it around whatever other sessions they attend after that.

Maybe the ‘tune of the week’ is actually not popping up any more than any other tune in terms of frequency, but it’s catching my ear for some reason and I’m noticing it.

@Donough:
In 2000, The Roaring Barmaid ( https://thesession.org/tunes/91 ) was a recently and popularized tune by Lúnasa and Mike McGoldrick (and Danú some years later). It was played many sessions I attended, and was also said to be one of the tunes that flute players chose when auditioning for classes.

I know I played another tune from the same Lúnasa album (in fact the same set) in a couple of sessions on year later. It was The Cock and the Hen, and that one has become a staple tune now.

As Colman said, possibly influened by a recording.

In some other thread, I’ve mentioned my first session in Ireland where I knew nearly every tune. But my second one (the next day) - I knew hardly any! Same context (Miltown Malbay, Willie Week).

Thanks guys I will keep checking back to see of anyone else comes up with an offering. At least you understood what I was after. I don’t get to enough festivals but when I do there’s usually a few stand out tunes and yes it is obviously influenced by current/recent recordings.

Learn the tunes you like….