Dented whistle

Dented whistle

How do I fix the small dent in my whistle? It’s near the lowest hole and I think my D’s are now a little sharp. It’s only a fairly cheap Waltons mellow D but it’s my favourite.

Re: Dented whistle

Try finding a bit of dowel that’s a close enough fit to be able to pull out again (it doesn’t have to be tight). Shove it in and lay the whistle, hole down on a flat surface try rubbing the dint out with the dowel and/or rolling the whistle a bit. I did that successfully one time.

Posted by .

Actually, if it’s just a thin tin whistle you could probably just hold the dowel with the whitle holes facing you and push the dent out with your fingers.

Posted by .

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

I had a Waltons whistle - one of the very thin aluminium ones - that got sat on and bent by about 20º. It still played beautifully - until I reached into the pocket of my guitar case one day and pulled it out in two pieces.

I also had a red-top Generation that had got bent and dented over the years, but was the sweetest sounding whistle I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately, it got lost many years ago.

A mate of mine repairs wind instruments as a profession. He uses different sizes of ball bearings in the tube, starting small and gradually, very gradually, increasing the size until the dent has been pushed out by basically just gently shaking the thing in the tubing.

I believe it’s pretty much fixed. I put my Eb whistle up the end and pressed on the spot hard, multiple times, it seems to have worked. Joy of joys!
Thanks for the advice all.

Generations are like Stradivaraii - improve with age. Dents and patination add character.

Not if the dent is next to a finger hole! Otherwise it’s not a problem.
My Clarke D is dented near the top. No problem there.

Yes because it would let air out.

Posted by .