Sessions in or near Chapel Hill

Sessions in or near Chapel Hill

Not for me but a buddy of mine doing a postdoc at the university. Doesn’t play a note but he likes trad and is missing the music of his native isles. Any sessions I can send him to?

He doesn’t have a car because apparently NC doesn’t want foreigners to have cars, so one accessible by bike or public transport would be great.

Re: Sessions in or near Chapel Hill

DrSilverSpear said: “He doesn’t have a car because apparently NC doesn’t want foreigners to have cars”

I hear they drive on the other side of the road there! ;^)

The best bet for quality would be a closed session held at Trali pub in Morrisville on the first Saturday of every month. Not very accessible to public transit but our public transit sucks so no surprise. You can tell him to find me on fb and I would be happy to tell him about anything going on in the area.

He appreciates good tunes, but he’s not that fussed and doesn’t mind if they aren’t. He’s more than happy to listen to a guy bothering a guitar and belting “Seven Drunken Nights. ”

there is a regular session in down town Carboro which is the next town over and that might be accessible and there is one here in Raleigh as well that is posted on here. If he isn’t too far out of the way I’m sure someone would give him a ride. Raleigh is accessible by bus if he doesn’t mind the longish trip. Feel free to give him my email: sm51498@gmail.com and I’ll give him the details on the Carboro session though I think it is posted here too

We’re a friendly bunch.

I lived down there without a car for a little while, and while it’s not the easiest way to go about things, there are a few sessions. He should be aware that I’ve seen a few of them advertised as “Irish Jam Sessions” or something similar, and the one in Raleigh I used to go to was often more guitars than melody instruments. But everyone was very friendly, and the core players were generally quite solid. I believe that session has moved (used to be in the center of Raleigh) to the Glenwood area at a place called the Stag’s Head, Thursdays starting at 7:30. Not the easiest to get to by bus, but perhaps if he meets some like-minded people he could get a lift every now and then.

He should check out the Pinecone organization, which is more bluegrass/old-time oriented but posts notices for folk/traditional/roots events of all stripes. And while bluegrass isn’t trad, there’s a hell of a lot more of it in the area, often of a very high quality. If he ever gets over to Durham, the Q Shack has a group of older guys that plays every Wednesday 6:30-8:30 and are fantastic. I used to go every week, and they’re both very accomplished and very good. The fiddler who often plays with them, Fiddlin’ Al McCanless, plays Irish music as well and might be able to connect him to some people.

Overall, people are very friendly down there, and I had mostly good experiences there (and the only really bad experience was at a session run by someone who I believe has moved). Tell him to eat a lot of BBQ, and I hope he likes (or can tolerate) basketball!

Just to clarify the Trali session Scott mentioned is not an open session but great for listening.

https://thesession.org/sessions/6324

https://thesession.org/sessions/1100 - This one is at NC State university, not walking distance but doable. The original poster for this session is Allison Arnold, an ethnomusicologist at the school, fluter, and generally great person. If you can get in touch with her, she will know the lay of the land for Irish music in the area.