Insect tunes?

Insect tunes?

Any one know any good tunes named after insects other than The Butterfly, The Swallowtail and The Pipaer on the Hob?
I know that the second is really the Swallow’s Tail and that "The Pipe on the Hob" is probably about smoking rather than House Crickets but I’ve been clutching at straws.

Re: Insect tunes?

This must really be bugging you.

Posted by .

Bee’s Wing hornpipe

Posted by .

Fly around my pretty little miss

Posted by .

I can’t "Bee"lieve that there are this many tunes about insects. ;)

Sorry… I’ll leave now…

I believe there’s a Cajun tune called ‘A Mosquito Ate Up My Sweetheart’

Larkin’s Beehive

Kellie, that was a terrible joke. please beehive yourself.
Noel, what made you ask such a question?

Posted by .

Lots of Maggots in Playford. Dick’s, Mr Beveridge’s,

Eighteenth-century tune: Lady Pentweazle’s Maggot. (Though the pedant in me is compelled to remark that ‘maggot’ didn’t just mean ‘wriggly fly larva’ in those days: it implied a whimsical thing of no significance. See also: ‘toye’ and ‘puffe’). But then … are modern maggots strictly insects before they’ve grown six legs? Any Irish Traditional Entomologists out there?

But to continue, there’s ‘Fly by wire’, ‘Beetle on the Vine’, ‘The Boll Weevil’, ‘The bee of Gwent’, Dance of the Honeybees’, ’ Tom Big Bee’ (sorry!), and the one about the elderly lady who collects night-flying bugs, ‘Old mother Oxford’. (Even sorrier!).

Posted by .

There is also a hornpipe called "The Firefly".

There’s also "The Jar of Slugs" , an affectionate name name for a well known jig.

The Blackthorn Stick (Insect)
The Wild Irish Man(tis)

The Beeswing hornpipe is named after a racehorse named Beeswing, not the wing of an insect.

Posted .

"The Beeswing hornpipe is named after a racehorse named Beeswing, not the wing of an insect"
Ah, but was the racehorse named after the wing of an insect?

😉

On the more slithery side of things, there’s the Caterpillar Slip Jig (Declan Masterson’s inside-out Butterfly), also the "Sand Worms", and "Before the Worms". And on a more general note, there are loads of Hop Jigs! 😉

Slugs are molluscs. Worms are actually classed as animals, as are spiders. Do keep up at the back! Extra homework all round.

I’ll add https://thesession.org/tunes/6665, though I’ve never personally encountered a roach with a forename.

Since the comma broke Gonzo’s link, here’s that tune:
Ashley Roach’s: https://thesession.org/tunes/6665

And some more:
The Dirty Bee (Reel by Ross Ainslie): https://thesession.org/tunes/10030
The Bee in the Bonnet (Reel by Kevin Rowsome): https://thesession.org/tunes/15790
Spider’s In The Bathtub (Hornpipe by Jimmy Keane): https://thesession.org/tunes/9617
The Funky Spider (Jig by Sylvain Barou): https://thesession.org/tunes/8729

The only one of these I’ve played in a session was Dirty Bee, a simple but punchy modern tune.

Thanks, Ben, but spiders aren’t insects!

"Busy Bee" by Arthur Askey. Since we seem to have wandered far out of the ITM genre!

I’m sorry that my last joke got people buzzing.

"Thanks, Ben, but spiders aren’t insects!"

Yes, but let’s be honest. They might as well "bee".

Sorry I couldn’t help myself…

Kellie, buzz off!

The dance of the honeybees

Posted by .

"Kellie, buzz off!"

Never! My puns are un"bee"lievably funny.

Thank you! I’ll be here all week.

The Jig of the Dead will also be pertinent.

Btw "The Pipe On The Hob" is actually in reference to crickets, so it’s not stretching at all.

the Beehive reel is a favorite of mine

Any tune in G nat.

The Happy Aunt.
Jenny Dang the Weevil?
The Dusty Millipede? (Yes, I know they’re not insects, having considerably more than 6 legs.)

>"The Jig of the Dead will also be pertinent."
- is that because they’re "6 feet" under?

Kellie: Btw "The Pipe On The Hob" is actually in reference to crickets, so it’s not stretching at all.

??????

A "hob" is one of two seats located within each side an inglenook fireplace. You sit on one of these two seats to keep warm on cold winter nights - smoking your pipe and probably engaging in conversation or story-telling with the person sitting on the hob on the opposite side of the inglenook.

Hence: "Pipe on the Hob" - nothing to do with crickets.

Hence also the term: "hobnobbing" = chatting or gossiping.

You might also be drinking cups of tea and dunking "Hobnob" biscuits … 😉

- But, talking of crickets …

Personally, I love to hear the musical and soothing sound of crickets chirping on a warm summer’s evening. Fairly rare in the UK, but not unknown.

Not only that, crickets are useful as you can use their chirping to calculate the temperature!

Count the number of times a cricket chirps in 14 seconds. Add 40 to your count and the result will be the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

>"The Jig of the Dead will also be pertinent."
- is that because they’re "6 feet" under?

because maggots, Periodactylised ….

"The story behind the tune is that it used to be called “The Piper on the Hob” and was a reference to some cold winter nights when a cricket would chirp away on the hob, which was, and still is by some, regarded as sign of good luck. The Fiddler’s Companion attributes the story to Seamus Ennis." - Slowplayers.org

are there not any tunes inspired by that wee beastie, the Highland Midge?

Swallowtail Jig?

It’s Just Not Cricket!

@kellie;@gone

The opinion of one person regarding the etymology of tune title does not constitute evidence - even if attrubuted to Seamus Ennis and cited in the Fiddler’s Companion. In any case, the early collections (including O’Neill) list the tune as "The Pipe on the Hob" - not "The Piper on the Hob"

The House Cricket (presumably the species to which you refer) is indigenous to south-east Asia and only spread to other parts of the world (including The UK and Ireland) in relatively recent years. Even today, it’s much less common in Ireland than it is in the UK, and probably not found in Ireland at all 160 years (or so) ago when this tune first emerged.

All species of cricket rely on camouflage for defence and thus like to hide themselves away in banks and rotting vegetation. Similarly, when they do come indoors they tend to seek out rugs - or cracks and crevices in floorboards and walls - not brightly-lit open locations such as fireside hobs.

I would also add that it would take some stretch of the imagination to equate the percussive sound of a cricket chirping to the reed-generated sound of uilleann pipes.

"I would also add that it would take some stretch of the imagination to equate the percussive sound of a cricket chirping to the reed-generated sound of uilleann pipes."

You’re right. They’re more like fiddlers.

Next tune composition from Kellie: Fiddler on the Hob, featuring the venerable, yet humble cricket.

Posted by .

Yes it shall be a hornpipe in E flat minor…

All joking aside, maybe I will…

I think "weevil" all agree that bug puns aren’t very funny…

I think you should make it a hop jig.

Posted by .

Clever

Montgromeries Maggot

The Fly by Night

Imelda Rolant’s

Mother’s Delight

Crawley Dene