Looking up tune combinations in sets

Looking up tune combinations in sets

There’s many a time I’ve run across a tune I liked and searched for it here on thesession to see what tunes it has been recorded with and then attempted to put together a set. That isn’t an approach that has always yielded good results.

So, since I’ve been a bit OCD on collecting trad albums off of YouTube I thought I’d just do some data mining as to which recordings are sets (2 or more commas in the name) and filtering those results into a file.

For what it’s worth, I’m talking about the following numbers of albums/artists and tunes etc.

artists: 365
albums: 1110
files: 10405

The result is a file of 1753 known sets in alphabetical order. The artists are not included in the results. This is hardly a complete list since there are lots of albums that aren’t on YouTube but if you’re curious about a specific tune and its order in a set, here’s the file and you’re welcome to download it to see if you can find what you need.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/Celtic/setsfx.rtf

Unfortunately, I was unable to completely filter out various language diacritical marks so some entries got sort of "munched" up by my system software. Still, there’s enough information there to be able discern the names of the tunes in the set.

Re: Looking up tune combinations in sets

Don’t understand, probably never will. Someone here the other day was wittering on that they couldn’t put a set together yet they "knew" a 100 plus tunes. I don’t get it, 100 tunes that’s 100 factorial ways of arranging the ruddy things. For you lot more mathematically challenged that is 100 x 99 x 98 x 97 x 96 x 95…… all the way down to x 2. Yep some kid sitting at a computer in the Sunshine State with a battered copy of O”Neil’s next to his touchpad has more potential ways of putting the tunes he "know’s" together than there are atoms in the bloody solar system.

My word! Google Docs rendered this out as 43 pages of nicely formatted alphabetized sets. I only see seven ‘waifs and strays’ at the top of the document. Very nicely done, Carl!

Best way to construct sets is dynamically, off the top of your head in live session, either based upon a randomly picked "theme" which link the tunes (usually by title), else stringing together well trusted "tune-pairs" to make a boundless chain. This process may either be decided through discussion before playing each set, or for an even better thrill, left until the after the first note of the first tune has been played.
Of course, use/play one the many excellent existing sets of tunes from favourite CDs - these can often be broken down to generate the "tune-pairs" as mentioned above.

Using common/different keys can also be a fun way to construct sets; e.g. play a set of 5/6 reels/jigs/hornpipes, each having to be in either a different (unused) key, else maintaining the same key throughout.

@Steve T 6
I take it then that you’re not the least bit interested in what sets matured to the point of being recorded.

Are you familiar with irishtune.info? He’s done this with all the albums he’s archived.

Posted by .

Also, Steve you’re incorrect, unless you want to put sets together in an untraditional way, because there are some basic rules or guidelines to set building, the basic one being that sets are all the same rhythm (this has exceptions, but even still…) so it wouldn’t be 100!, it’d be closer to reels=40!, jigs=30!, hornpipes=20!, and the rest in many fewer sets.

Still a ton, of course.

Posted by .

"so it wouldn’t be 100!, it’d be closer to reels=40!, jigs=30!, hornpipes=20!"

and furthermore, it wouldn’t even be 40!, unless you put together sets with 40 reels in them. It would be, say for a 3-tune set, 40!/37!

Still a lot, of course, but orders of magnitude less than the amount of atoms in the universe or whatever was said above.

I mean, I’ve definitely played a set of ~40 polkas. (I agree with you though 🙂 )

Posted by .

why not put tunes together based on the ones you can play and what mood you happen to be in? Way less stress….