Need help with research

Need help with research

Hello!

I am doing some research for my University and really need some help. If anyone could fill out this quick 10 question survey about how they got started in traditional music, I can’t begin to explain how helpful that would be.

Please feel free to have friends and family participate as well! The more, the better!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TGY6X6W

Re: Need help with research

Done!

Posted by .

Failed at the first hurdle; the survey presupposes that I play an instrument to be interested in traditional music (and indeed to create music which I have facilitated through other means).

Can’t you just look up the results of all the surveys undertaken by people on the same course in previous years? It gets a bit monotonous answering the same questions over and over again.

I can’t speak to the motives and/or purpose of this survey in particular, and for sure the question has been asked often enough. I can say that often the purpose of research/surveys at the University level ( no mention of what level WL is working, undergrad, graduate) is often more about teaching research design and methodology than about the actual results. I believe that the approach would be different for doing raw research would be different from accumulating the results from previously done work. I’m sure I’m just touching the surface of that issue and there are many more learned members that can speak to this topic.

Oh, and I got into Trad by getting enjoyably drunk at an event where Trad was played as background.

Question #5 ("What was the first tune you learned?") is ambiguous. Do you mean the first tune of any kind that I learned to play on an instrument, or the first tune I learned in the Irish-traditional genre?

And as for question #10, I’m trying to think of a diplomatic way to say this… it doesn’t quite make sense. "How did you learn?" How did I learn what? "By ear, by mouth, or by sheet music?" I’m not sure what it would mean to learn "by mouth" without the use of one’s ears.

I thought the world had gone to hell in a handcart when a medical student told me his main reference work was Wikipedia. And now asking a few questions on surveymonkey counts as research? In my day doing research meant you had to dissect something.

… grumble, grumble ….

"I thought the world had gone to hell…"

There’s plenty of evidence extant that would indicate you’re not wrong.

Posted by .

Done. Stop moaning. The guy’s profile says he’s 18. Unless he was a child prodigy its probably a first year student exercise. And the survey might cleverer that some people seem to think.

For the record, my remark wasn’t intended to reference a student pursuing an education, but rather current trends in society at large.

Posted by .

Well I filled it in too, though some doubts as to the relevance of some questions, or what could be gleaned from the answers. Probably over-simplified, and not enough opportunity for "free text" answers, though I did use the "other" box for additional comments.
So what do you make of someone who learned to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" on piano from sheet music at age 6? (Well it might not have been TTLS - so long ago now!)

I did it too. Every little helps, and these were probably the same questions we would have been asking at his age. Go to it kidder!

Let us know how you get on.

Worthington, stop paying your university it’s tuition. They are not instructing you well enough about research.
I appreciate your efforts, but the idea of a quick survey will only serve your lazy professors. If you need a grade
to pass the class I’ll fill it out. If I were you I’d complete the class for what you need and find better instructors
to school you about researching subjects you are intersested in pursuing.

I hate to think you’re paying much for this sort of tuition.

Posted by .

It could be that the students will later be asked to critique the survey strategy. I know that that’s what happened in my first year stats course at uni. It is so flawed that anybody could find holes in it. If it were me I’d just make it all up at random. It would make no difference.

Posted by .

Gobby, I don’t know what they sold you at your university. It doesn’t seem like an emphasis on research techniques; more like trial & error (swim or sink).

Posted by .

University sold me nothing Ben. I never believed a word of it.

Posted by .

Good to know, Gobby. I was under the assumption they asked a fee from you.

Posted by .

Thing is AB, education is increasingly about learning how to find stuff out rather than simply being given things to learn. That way you don’t end up with graduates who never progress beyond what they did on their course without getting more tuition. Trial, error and correction is one way of getting engagement in the process.

You see quite a lot of that on this forum as well.

David, if I’m following you we are talking about the same thing. It sounds like you are referring to teaching students not just subject matter but "learning how to learn."

I don’t know how Worthington is being taught or how good the professor is. It may be a good course for learning surveys. Truth is I don’t have enough information to make that call. With the little bit I’ve seen I tend to be a bit skeptical. But I haven’t come to any absolute conclusion, except that I don’t choose to answer the survey’s questions as they are now.

cheers

Posted by .