Ghostly fantasies.

Ghostly fantasies.

I just posted a comment on another thread that said, "You know how at times we all imagine if we could go back and meet somebody from history? My choice of such a person would be Johnny Doherty"
It then struck me that I’d be interested in knowing which deceased musicians of this tradition other members would most want to meet (in their fantasies). And why?

Posted by .

Re: Ghostly fantasies.

my first thought was Turlough O’ Carolan but he was apparently a bad tempered old sod with limited English [though almost certainly better than my Gaelic] so the meeting might not have gone too well - Barney McKenna always seemed a jovial soul and I might have got a few banjo tips off him……………….

Ha, ha… ‘bad tempered old sod’,…. Yeah, but there would be a few people on this site that could hold their own with him.

Posted by .

Playing their records is enough of an encounter with the dead for me, thank you very much.

Any or all of the following:

Donncha Ó Briain
Josie McDermott
Micho Russell
Willie Clancy
Séamus Ennis
Tom McHale

As to why… I love the playing of all of those musicians, and while I’m sure I don’t sound particularly like any of them, they have all had a big influence on my love of the tradition and on the development of my own playing.

…Oh, and from the stories I have heard some of them sound like they would be great company for a day in the pub, drinking and playing tunes.

I’m pretty new to ITM, and my choice would be Margaret Barry. Here’s why - when I listen to her music, it is loud and unsophisticated as she sings and plucks her banjo. However, I have fallen in love with a jig attributed to her called The Strayaway Child, which is a lovely, haunting tune. I would like to know how she came up with the piece, and if other aspects of her music remain lost to us now.

Either her or Michael Gorman.

Peg McGrath
Willie Clancy
Gordon Duncan
Kitty Hayes
Angus Grant
Denis Murphy
Julia Clifford
Lucy Farr or anyone from the Ballinakill Traditional Dance Players
Johnny Cunningham
Junior Crehan
Séamus Creagh
Kitty Linnane
Pecker Dunne

Posted by .

Raiftearaí an File would be my first choice. The irresistible combination of filíocht agus ceol, Gaillimh agus Maigh Eo, peregrinations agus port(h)er!
‘Anthony Rafferty who composed the following poems and songs, was blind from the age of five years. He was born on 30 March 1779 at Culte - Magh, Co Mayo, died 25 December 1835 near Loughrea, Co Galway. He was a minstrel by profession ;and played the violin tolerably ; and was accustomed to recite his own poems, as well as other old Irish compositions. He sang his own songs accompanied by the music of the violin. I knew him. He was an honest man. ’
James Hardiman

Niel Gow first, next call on William Marshall, then take the time machine further back for Carolan.

well, best of luck with the Carolan trip, Mollie - see my comment yesterday…………….

I did read it - but I have a cunning plan a la Baldrick: I’d bring him a really good present so that he’d have to be nice. :)

Anyway, it says here that he was ‘cheerful and gregarious’ and only mentions the temper in connection with drink & bets with his fellow-drinkers.
http://www.contemplator.com/carolan/carlnbio.html
So with a glass of lemonade, a plate of Battenberg slices, the presence of a lady, and my present (boxes & boxes of tea, which was very expensive in the seventeenth/eighteenth centuries) I’m sure he’d be absolutely charming. :)

great plan - all you need now is to invent the time machine…………………

With the time-space continuum not being a factor, it sounds like some of you are making a guest list for your ultimate "dream session." Wouldn’t that be a hoot if you could sit in with any group of musicians from any era? This would be my fantasy session line-up: Rachel Welch (1967 Fathom) on fiddle, Elizabeth Hurley (2000 Bedazzled) on flute, Kate Beckinsale (2006 Underworld) on accordion, Linda Carter (1976 Wonder Woman) on the pipes.

^^^^ Fab idea! :)
Will give it some thought…

Il ne faut pas toucher aux idoles: la dorure en reste aux mains.

"La parole humaine est comme une bouilloire cassée sur laquelle nous utilisons des rythmes bruts pour les ours à danser, alors que nous désirons faire de la musique qui va fondre les étoiles".

my French is very rusty - something about dancing bears and music that reaches for the stars ?

Google translates it as "Human Speech is like a broken kettle on which we use raw rhythms for bears to dance, while we want to make music that will melt the stars." By some guy named Gustave Flaubert.

Posted by .

One good quote from Flaubert deserves another;) But sadly I couldn’t play to the level of my idols, but would dearly love to hear them in person.

"my French is very rusty"… You think that your’s is bad Christy?…. I thought it was Italian! Thanks for the translation Aaron. I was too embarrassed to ask.

Posted by .

the other one, far as I can tell -’ its no use to touch our idols; the gold rests in our hands’ - doesn’t entirely make sense but I probably mis- translated something . Quelqu’un qui parle francais bien? Ce n’est pas moi!

Il ne faut pas toucher aux idoles: la dorure en reste aux mains.

Never touch your Idols: the gold paint sticks to your hands.

I’ve met one of my Music Idols once, and I wish I hadn’t. Likewise I once met a top Hollywood star and wish I hadn’t. So, I have no interest whatever in meeting any music luminary of the past.

There was a quote from an 18th century aristocrat- I can’t recall who, and I’m paraphrasing, something like:

"For good table conversation about music, never invite musicians. They only talk about money."

I thought it was spanish for a bit :P
either spanish or latin XD
O’Carolan would be itneresting to go drinking with tbh

Is Ellen a Hollywood star?

;-)

Posted by .

Yes I met Ellen but she was no idol of mine- I’ve still never seen her show. But yes I do wish I’d never met her.

Oh- I found the quote

"It is so difficult to mix with artists! You must choose businessmen to talk to, because artists only talk of money." -Jean Sibelius

It’s usually understood that by "artists" he means musicians (rather than painters).

I have met two ‘renowned fiddlers’ that left a slight taste of disappointment. One was crusty & bigheaded, and the other was nice & rather sweet - until he got a drink inside him.

On the other hand, I met an ace fiddler recently who was Charm Personified.

No names - no pack drill. :)