Does anyone recognise this tune?

Does anyone recognise this tune?

I got the music for this wee tune from John Moulden a few years back. He found the music for it amongst the papers of Sam Henry of Coleraine, Co. Derry, but there was no title, so until it’s original name could be traced I named it after Archie Savage, a Fiddle player of Ballycastle, Co. Antrim who drove the horse drawn Mail Cart between Ballycastle & Ballymoney around 1870.

I was asked for a recording of this locally sourced tune at the weekend, hence the wee video. It’s perhaps a rather melancholy wee tune, but with a few ‘interesting’ notes. ;-) Anyway, I recorded it last night on Tenor Guitar, Mandolin, Nyckelharpa & English Concertina.

I included the photographs of the Ballylough House, ruined Tower House & Crannog as they are on the Ballylough Estate at Castlecatt, near Bushmills which is owned by an old local family which has Savage family connections.

However, I’m hoping someone here can put the original name to this tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9NG9iBZNY&t=11s

Cheers,
Dick

Re: Does anyone recognise this tune?

Archie Savage perhaps?

No, but it’s a beautiful tune (and beautifully played). It sounds more like something I would associate with Northern England or the Scottish Borders than Ireland - but I suppose the Scots influence is strong in N. Ulster.

…faint echoes of Scandinavia.

The scale says Scandinavia, but the rhythm doesn’t (whatever it is - a heavily dotted hornpipe or a slow single jig?).

Yeah I should have read the op before I commented really! Sounded very Scottish to me, perhaps Shetland, I certainly wouldn’t have put it down as Irish personally.

"The scale says Scandinavia, but the rhythm doesn’t"

If you were to take out the triplets and play it with a slightly different rhythmic emphasis, it could sound rather like a Swedish schottis.