My first flute set

My first flute set

Hello to all friends here!
I’m very new to this website and discussions in general.

I’m very much interested in the tin whistle flutes and I would love start practicing in order to become a good player disregarding that I am already 30 years old, I’m trying to find passion in my life in order to clear my mind and have some inner peace.

I was looking for the good tin whistles that I can buy, and apparently the ones that I am able to get a hold of are the ones in amazon.com, since I live in Lebanon, tin whistles aren’t really available here especially from whistle makers.

The brand that caught my eye was the Tony Dixon so I decided to buy a D key whistle, an Alto Bb key , and a Low D key whistles. I would really love any feedback anyone is able to give me as this is my first whistle ever that I will be playing. I also have a Yamaha Flute that I played for a bit but I’m now leaning towards the whistle more than ever because it feels more spiritual to me.
Thank you all and sorry for making it a bit long ! :)

Re: My first flute set

First of all welcome! Age doesn’t matter when it comes to playing or learning an instrument (I started tin whistle last year and I am currently same age as you). Like you, I also had no whistles available easy. The music shop simply only had 1 whistle brand and only 1 whistle in the key of high D so I just went for that one. I got me a Generation and despite a lot of info online about how off they can be I am pretty pleased with mine. Most of the time if a whistle sounds off its the player that still has to learn how to handle it. In example: me not managing to hit the highest notes in 2nd octave when I started.

I am not familiar with Dixon whistles but I think to start out, all whistles are fine. When you get more advanced and you want another sound you can always switch to another brand. I do advice to focus on your high D whistle first as this is the main key Irish trad music is played in. Once you "master" this you can play around with other keys. From what I read low D’s are harder to play due to air needed and finger placements being further away.

I have a few tin whistles and hands down my favorite is my Dixon high D Delrin whistle

MarHaba! Tony Dixon whistles are perfectly fine for a beginner, and lots of people have started off with lesser quality instruments. I have owned several of his whistles, and they all played well and in tune. I don’t think you will go wrong with them.

If you are ever in a position to get your hands on one, the ‘tweaked’ whistles by Cillian Ó Briain and Jerry Freeman are a great way to get a very nice whistle at a reasonable price. They take cheaper factory made whistles and modify them to play better. I have bought both, and had the Jerry Freeman whistles posted from the US to Ireland, and the Cillian Ó Briain one sent from the UK to Ireland.

Killarney whistles are also very popular, relatively inexpensive, and claim to deliver to anywhere in the world - I assume that includes Lebanon, but you could always contact them and ask. http://killarneywhistle.com/

Hello and welcome. I myself have only been playing the whistle for about a year. I started with the Clarke Original in D, which I absolutely love. Some people find it difficult getting used to because of the wooden block in the mouthpiece, but it has such a beautiful sound. I have had much success with it. I just bought a plastic Tony Dixon in D, which is what I prefer to play at sessions because it’s tunable. It sounds smooth and is easy to play. Read through the many tin whistle discussions that can be found on this site. I have gained lots of valuable information from the experienced whistlers who offer feedback. Best of luck to you. I’m sure you will get much enjoyment from your whistle playing.