Gobsmacked! Is there a tune with a name that sounds like “Harerazen”?

Gobsmacked! Is there a tune with a name that sounds like “Harerazen”?

I was told I should learn the tune. The title doesn’t match any tune titles I’m aware of and I don’t even know if it’s a polka, a waltz or whatever. It will be a while before I can get back to the person requesting it so in the interim, does anyone know of a tune title that resembles "Harerazen"?

Re: Gobsmacked! Is there a tune with a name that sounds like “Harerazen”?

Was someone saying "Harry Lawson’s" against loud background noise?

Apparently the tune really exists. It’s not on iTunes anymore though so I’m left waiting to hear it from the former member of the long defunct group that played it.

I’m intrigued and would love to hear the tune. But I fear this thread will be long cold and forgotten by the time you find a version on the web to share, callison. But I hope you post a link if you find an accessible recorded version.

I wonder if the title is a playful spelling of “Hair Raising”?

For what it’s worth, a wonderful little polka I’ve been playing a lot lately has a title pronounced something like “tah hah HARE-EN vwee agam.”

Seems it was a song, rather than a tune, and came 4th in the Celtic category in some music awards in 2002. Also seems to gave something to do with older models of Chevrolet Corvettes! But no nearer hearing the tune!

I think we’re going down the wrong road here….This seems to me to be a case of mispronunciation or mishearing. We need to guess the name of a more common song or tune that has a similar title.

I don’t know of any tunes, but I’ll kick off an idea or two that may get others going. Somebody is bound to be better at puzzles than I am.

Hair Raisin’ (Raising)
Air something
George Brabazon (by O’Carolan)

Posted by .

The correct title is Hair Raisin’. It’s an original by one of the band members, Jan Wood-Cochran. Most of the tunes they recorded come from a list of "Irish melodies most familiar to musicians with only a passing familiarity with Irish traditional music, but they mean well."

I can’t tell where the misspelling originates, but other tunes on the recording are also misspelled — Eels and Zink, for example. Could have happened when the tracks were listed on line, rather than on the actual recording.

Does your friend want you to play it on the traditional bongo and rope? Do they have a copy of one of the recordings you could listen to

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/aug/07/entertainment/ca-10809

Well, I’ll ask the lady about the origins of the song when she lends me the cd from her old band. At the same time, I’ll make a copy of it and if it’s okay with her, I’ll share what I’m allowed. It is an original tune though and is likely a colloquial form of "Hair Raising". I’ll find out some time within the next week.

Was your friend in that band?

Since I posted last, I’ve found the contact information for the composer. Send me a message via the board and I’ll send it to you. She and her sister are still playing Irish music, and her daughter is a champion Irish dancer. I think she’d be tickled to hear someone wants to play her tune.

I was guessing the spelling was their little joke!

Joe Fidkid,
it’s Tá Dhá Ghabharin Bhui Agam and your pronunciation is pretty spot on

I now have an iTunes copy of the album and have excerpted a chunk of the tune. It contains all of parts A,B and C from the first time around. There used to be a sample at the iTunes store thereby establishing precedent for the excerpt.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/Celtic/Harerazen_sample.mp3

Wow that is a nice little tune. Great effort in finding this.

I’m busy learning it (not too difficult on the bouzouki, I’d crash horribly with a wind instrument) and trying to transcribe to abc, which isn’t going all that well since I have little experience with that. I will succeed! Eventually… ;^)