What’s this reel ?

Re: What’s this reel ?

Thanks a lot, what about the second reel in the set ?

Ríl Mór - also known as The Big Reel of Ballynacally https://thesession.org/tunes/133 . I’m not sure I would have recognised it without hearing that title, though. Finbarr Furey is a great piper, but he sounds like he can’t wait for these tunes to end (actually, I was quite glad when they did - sorry Fureys).

Thanks to you too ! It’s true they do play it too fast, the studio recording I remember is more reasonably paced …

He did give the titles of the reels before they started playing. Just as well he did because although I play both reels, I couldn’t make head nor tail of the jumble of notes that were pouring forth from the pipes. One can only hope that our continental cousins didn’t get the wrong idea of how traditional music sounds like…..

He did give the titles of the reels before they started playing. Just as well he did because, although I play both reels, I couldn’t make head nor tail of the jumble of notes that were pouring forth from the pipes. One can only hope that our continental cousins didn’t get the wrong idea of how traditional music sounds like…..

@Free Reed: My thoughts exactly. Sounds like they were on a tight schedule.

@CreadurMawnOrganig: 🙂

apocryphal story about Finbar Furey, asked why do you play so fast, answered ‘because I can’ - on the evidence of this vid, its probably true……………

Wait a minute - is it ‘apocryphal’ (i.e., probably not true) or is it ‘probably true’? Actually, not meaning to be pedantic, but wondering about the story - I encountered it as a ‘true story’, and just accepted it, because why not? Is there some question about its veracity?

Not that it really matters; it’s a good anecdote anyway.

I just gave a listen to the first few minutes of that video - never mind making out the titles; I couldn’t make out any music. Maybe a bit too much of that lemonade, or something …….

I always took ‘apocryphal ’ to mean maybe true, maybe not, where no-one actually knows the true origins of a story - the one time I saw the Fureys back in the ’80s they were playing just like that video so I’m accepting it as true

Well, I’ve heard (more accurately, read …) an advocate for American "eaters"(contestants who try to wolf down as many hot dogs or sushis or whatever within a minute) say just that : "Why do we do it ? Because we can."
A phrase that seems to have caught on …
As one of your ‘continental cousins’, I remember seeing the Fureys in concert in Cork back in 1977, an tremendously enjoying the show … mind you, it wasn’t nearly as show-offish as the way they perform in the video.
Thanks for helping me out anyway … I’m now learning the tune at a reasonable pace on the mandolin !