Rocking the Cradle (jig)

Rocking the Cradle (jig)

Does anyone have the history on this tune? Know how old/new it might be? I have a recording of the Fury’s playing it. I don’t find it here on the Session, but did find sheet music elsewhere.

Re: Rocking the Cradle (jig)

Might also be known as “rocking the baby”? Have a feeling it’s a Scottish (pipe?) tune but could be wrong.

“Rocking The Cradle” [ sic ] only appears to be on one Fureys recording, and I don’t have it, so can’t comment on it. It may or may not be the same tune as“Rocking The Baby“ which I do have, on 2 of Finbar and Eddie’s recordings. As far as I can tell, Finbar’s “Rocking The Baby” hasn’t been posted here yet unless under a different name. It is not the same tune as the Scottish pipe tune “Rocking The Baby”. “Rocking The Baby” as played by Finbar Furey is listed as “Trad”, with no other information on the CDs I have.
There is also a song “Rocking The Cradle” which is sometimes played as a slow air, notably by Paddy Taylor on his “Boy In The Gap” recording. According to “Ptarmigan”, the London-Irish group “Le Cheile” recorded the slow air and then played it as a jig. May or may not be the same as the Fureys. Complicated, isn’ it 🙂 ?
All the best, Kenny

Posted by .

Calum, yes number 1088 you linked to above is the well-known jig which Highland pipers also play, the other tune you linked to is the GHB setting of the same tune.

But it’s a different tune than Finbar Furey’s “Rocking The Baby”.

I have the Finbar Furey album where “Rocking The Baby” is listed as “traditional arranged Eddie Furey”.

The comprehensive Pekaar GHB tune encyclopaedia lists no tune composed for the Highland pipes named “Rocking The Baby” or “Rocking The Cradle”.

What it does list is a GHB arrangement of the same tune #1088 above, “Rocking The Baby”, arrangement by Terry Tully, the Pipe Major of the Saint Lawrence O Toole Pipe Band.

Then there is the lovely “An Seanduine ag Luasgadh an Chliabháin” (The Old Man Rocking the Cradle), from “Tunes of the Munster Pipers / Irish Traditional Music from the James Goodman Manuscripts”, Volume 1: http://port.itma.ie/score/ITMA_1403

Not a jig though, more of a slow waltz.

Cormac Begley plays a tune called Rocking the Cradle on his new CD; https://cormacbegley.bandcamp.com/track/suantra-rocking-the-cradle

I don’t think it’s similar to any of these others listed. It’s also a slow waltz.

**Correction, as I listen to the Paddy Taylor version, it’s the same tune, just sped up a little into waltz-time.
Cormac told us his dad used to sing it to him as a lullaby. He didn’t realize until he was much older it was a pretty common tune.

The notes probably come from the song, which off the top of my mind I’m familiar with both Joe Heaney and John Doherty having been recording singing it. Seamus Ennis also seemed fond of it & non-commercial recordings exist of him singing it.

Particular recordings of the air; Padraig O’Keeffe’s version is well known for his ‘trick’ of holding a metal key in his mouth and using it while playing to create harmonics imitating a baby calling for it’s “mama.” John Kelly snr was recorded playing it on fiddle, & as mentioned, Paddy Taylor on flute.

Finbar Fureys playing it as a jig probably came to him via Willie Clancy who used to play the air & then the jig together. Willie probably got it from Leo Rowsome, whose version (the jig following the air) was recorded on his Ri na bPiobairi album.

Another interesting recording of it on the pipes can be found on one of the Piper’s Choice DVDs from NPU, in which Ronan Browne plays a medley of 3 different versions.