Tanglewood TSM M Mandolin

Tanglewood TSM M Mandolin

Hi all. I haven’t posted on here for a long time, and gone through a burst of posts in the last week as I pick up my quest again once and for all.
I posted on another thread that I was on the look out for an octave mando /mandola, and played a few off the shelf today in Dublin.
I was going to abandon the mandolin. I have had a Fender FM 62 SCE for years and always struggled with it.
However, out of curiosity, I tried a few while I was in a few shops today and was pleasantly surprised.
I think the main issue with my Fender is the neck width. Way too thin for me, which turns me off the instrument, and it always sounds too bright or shrill to me. (Great workhorse for band gigs when plugged in though)
So I tried a cheap McBride’s mando with an acoustic sound hole: http://www.waltons.ie/home/products/view/03amcb-sym2-na-mcbrides-mandolin/

Surprised at the sweeter sound it gave off, and the neck was wider than what I was used to.

I also came across the Tanglewood TSM M Mandolin, and had a go, and really liked this one:

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product/tsmm/

Nice wide neck, but I’d get the action lowered slightly if I could, if I were to buy, and a sweet acoustic sound off it. The body wasn’t very deep, but as I said, gave off a nice sweet sound.

I can’t really afford to splash out, but am thinking of it.

There was a cheaper Tanglewood mando which was modelled on the TSM, and funnily enough, isn’t on their website, which sounded ok too for the money, but wasn’t as good as the TSM.

So much so, that I’m second guessing my octave mando/mandola quest, and will keep an eye out for some sweeter acoustic mandolins.

Re: Tanglewood TSM M Mandolin

Look out for a Breedlove Crossover, I’ve never played one but these are made with wider necks (for guitarists switching to mandolin).

Chiming in on the breedlove…I have a breedlove crossover. I got the one with f holes instead of a singular circular hole, just because I thought it sounded better.

I like it a lot. Easy to play, and more sustain/resonance than a regular mando (I.e. more guitar like). Definitely a sweet sound. The fingerboard is also nicer to me with its radiused fretboard.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks guys for the Breedlove advice!

I have an M.K. Kelly Dragonfly. Sounds like a mandolin, plays very well but the Fishman electronics suck massively. Should you go that course, buy un-electric and add an LR Baggs mandolin unit or something comparable. The Dragonfly plays way better than my Joe Foley and the tone cuts where the Foley is just too mellow.

I can recommend the Breedlove Crossover 00 round hole. As a guitarist I need a wide necked mandolin and this fits the bill at a reasonable cost. The action is easy to adjust. Try more than one if possible as they can differ in sound. e.g. I tried an f-hole and it was much quieter than the round hole.
Happy picking.

I most likely won’t get the chance to try any Breedloves in Ireland. I’ve never seen any for sale, but might stumble across one in my travels yet.

Not familiar with Tanglewood mandolins, I don’t think I’ve seen one in Australia, but I’m completely satisfied with my Tanglewood guitar, as are friends that own the same brand.