Music of Sligo CL70

Music of Sligo CL70

Just got my copy of "The Powelsborough Lasses", and the liner notes start like this:

"Comhaltas is pleased that the misunderstanding regarding five tracks, tracks 2, 8, 10, 11, and 16, Music of Sligo CL 70, has been clarified and CCÉ accepts that the flute player in question was James Murray."

A little googling finds this (and pretty much only this):

"Finn, Fred, & Peter Horan, fiddle & flute, Music of Sligo. Fidil ‘s Feadóg ‘Ceol Sligigh’, Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann CL 70, 2008. Reissue of LP with deletions and additions" (ITMA, "Commercial Sound Recordings, February 2009")

Anyone know what the story is here? There were rumors a CD version of Music of Sligo was going to be released back circa 2005-6, but this is the first I’ve heard of it actually being released and there’s no sign of it being for sale anywhere currently. Did they really somehow put five tracks of Murray on it by accident and then pulp the entire CD run or something?

Re: Music of Sligo CL70

You’ve got me curious about this. It’s a shame no one here knows. I suppose I would have to take CCE’s word on it. It’s a great record no matter who is playing on those tracks.

I could ask my "sources" who sent me my copy of the CD and who I think know James Murray for clarification, if you like, Sol.
The best people to ask about the Finn/Horan recording being re-released would be Comhaltas’ head office, I would think although if they screwed up somehow, they might be a bit reluctant to admit it.
I have "Music From Sligo" [ Finn & Horan ] on a cassette tape, and have seen a copy of the LP record for sale on eBay. I haven’t ever encountered a CD copy of it, nor have I heard of it existing.

Posted by .

Kenny, if you haven’t asked them already, hold off a bit and I’ll ask Gerry Harrington directly.

On consideration, I think the things that surprise me the most about this are 1) the idea of deleting tracks from a classic album. Adding tracks makes great sense, but even given the low sound quality of the originals, why would you delete any? 2) the idea that a CD version could go, not just completely below my radar, but completely below the radar of everyone here?

Just to clarify — the original Music of Sligo LP was CL33. So the CL70 reference would be to the mysterious CD release, which allegedly had "additions and deletions".

Thank you for clarifying that. I thought you were referring to the original release.

I don’t have the full story, but Gerry Harrington confirms it was duo tracks of James Murray and Jimmy Murphy that somehow snuck onto the Music of Sligo CD as Peter and Fred, and once that was figured out CCE recalled it and never released a fixed version.

Did you ask why some of the original tracks were removed? I suppose they might have been on a separate reel that was damaged or lost.