Dr Donaldson

Dr Donaldson

Could anyone help me out with classifying this tune? Is it a March of some kind?

Re: Dr Donaldson

I don’t know it (which is not saying much) and neither can I find it. Do you have a link or reference to it?

Posted by .

Not sure if you’ve linked to the same Donaldson there, Donald?
Your link to the thread goes to Ronnie Cooper Waltzes, but mentions a RC reel called Calum Donaldson, which is nothing like the very snappy 2/4 march, Dr James Donaldson: we play the latter for Canadian Barn Dances. I think Aly Bain has recorded both!

P.s. I think Dr Jas Donaldson is by Willie Hunter.

Trish, in that link, two below Calum Donaldson is Dr Donaldson.

On "Roads Not Travelled" they credit Dr Donaldson to Ronnie Cooper.

Ok, "Dr James Donaldson", recorded by Willie Hunter on "Leaving Lerwick Harbour", is the same tune as "Dr Donaldson", recorded by Aly & Phil on "Roads Not Travelled". On both CDs the tune is credited to Ronnie Cooper.

Aha, thanks for clearing up any confusion. Willie Hunter plays Dr James Donaldson on a 1995 Greentrax album, with Violet Tulloch: you can hear it on Spotify. Guessing this is the one that Michael wants as he mentioned a march.
Nigel Gatherer has posted the abc and score for Ronnie Cooper’s Calum Donaldson (reel) on another thread here. Very different tune.

The 1995 Greentrax album is "Leaving Lerwick Harbour", as mentioned previously and recorded just a few weeks before Willie Hunter died. I have it in my CD collection.
Calum Donaldson is definitely a reel and definitely not the same tune as Dr Donaldson. There was a book of all 46 Ronnie Cooper tunes published in 2013 or so. That would clear up any confusion (but I don’t have a copy - boo-hoo).

Nor me, nor do I have that CD, though I have the Aly/Phil one. Christmas list!

I have Ronnie Cooper’s original collection published in 1972, and "Dr James Donaldson" (in Vol.4) is a 4/4 march.

Hi Nigel, is it just written in 4/4 or is it an actual 4/4 march - the type of tune you would use for a Gay Gordons. Both the recordings I have of the tune have 2/4 type phrases (like for a CBD). As a 4/4 it would be a fast march at 136 bpm. Alternatively, it may have been written with quavers instead of semi-quavers in which case it should really be in 2/2.
But then there always seems to be confusion between the two types. The Headlands, for example, I usually see written in 2/4, despite it having a 4/4 feel.

It is written in 4/4 and it is described as a march. "The Headlands" in Vol.1 is written in 2/4. Either tune could be written in either time signature, but it’s interesting to look at Cooper’s accompaniment; DJD has the "four crotchets in each bar" sound to it, while TH has "dum-ching, dum-ching" in every bar.

Ah, that’s interesting because the Tulloch and Cunningham accompaniments both have that four to the bar feel which made it sound a bit like a schottische, if I’ve got my dances correct. The "dum-ching, dum-ching" accompaniment is still what I would expect for (what is called) a 4/4 march, but obviously doubled.

I’m pretty sure its a 2/4 highland pipe march…or when I transcribed it for pipes from the video of ally and phil a couple of years ago, I played it in 2/4 in the key of A maj.

Thanks Nigel: since your post, I have actually looked at the score we use, and it IS in 4/4. Now I’ll have to think about how I accompany it! Hopefully with plenty of bounce to get the dancers on their toes! As I said before, we use it for a CBD, but could also do for a Highland Schottische.

I’ve now got the new Ronald Cooper and Dr James Donaldson is transcribed in cut time, i.e., 2/2. With the note values twice as long this makes it equivalent to 2/4. So it is now written down like a 2/4 march. Still can’t quite decide if that’s what it sounds like, listening to the accompaniment.

"new Ronald Cooper" BOOK.