Fredamann Stickle

Fredamann Stickle

It seems nearly every Shetland ‘listening piece’ that captivates me lately is somehow connected to Fredamann.
It started about 10 years ago when I heard “Freddie’s Tune” being played by a pal.

Aside from the usual tunes “Trowie Burn” “Silver Bow” “Christmas Day I’da Moarning” etc.
Are there unrecorded lesser known pieces.
And any info not found on google or shared elsewhere about the man?

All the best,
Patrick

Posted by .

Re: Fredamann Stickle

"We jump from Bressay to Unst, but the jump is made ungrudgingly when we have to record the fact of two German musicians having been engrafted on Unst.
Two brothers, the name of Stickle, and there are conflicting stories as to their method of arrival, but that does not concern us here. They were contemporaries of Thomas and James Stout of Delting, and Fredamond [ sic ] Stickle was reckoned the first fiddler of the day in the island of his adoption. Stickle was also a composer, and could teach the harp, piano or guitar with the grace equal to that he displayed in playing the violin"

Written by G.M. Nelson - "Notes on some Shetland fiddlers", pp 42 / 43, "Da Mirrie Dancers" - published by the "Shetland Folk Society" in 1970.
There are no tunes attributed to F. Stickle in the book, but 4 are listed as "As played by J.J. Stickle".
Also, "Da Greenland man’s Tune" was "collected in Unst from J. Stickle by P. Shuldham-Shaw".

Posted by .

Thanks Kenny,
Seems the five tunes
Freddie’s
Trowie Burn
The Silver Bow
Christmas Day is the mornin
And Greenland Mans tune
Are my associations.

Funny thing 25 years ago when my father was on about Shetland music I wasn’t for it. I wanted Séamus Egan and Eileen Ivers.

It’s a good few years old but I really like the Kevin Henderson album.

And of course The Silver Bow. My father played that first track over and over.

Posted by .

Apart from the ones you list, you should look at

"Da Blue Yowe" https://thesession.org/tunes/8656
"Da Brig" https://thesession.org/tunes/2203
"Da Wheena Burn"
"Da Nipping Ground" ("Da Nippin Grund" in Tom Anderson’s Ringing Strings collection).

John Stickle, a descendant of Fredamann’s, regarded the tune "Owre da Moors Ta Maggie" as a Friedamann tune.

Thanks for this Nigel.
Listened to Kevin Henderson’s Fin Laand Ageen a few times today. Great recording.
I think I’m aware of a lot of Shetland music recordings but any that might fly below the radar would be great to hear about.

Posted by .

Should say Nordic Fiddlers Bloc were amazing when I saw them as well. Have not heard the second recording but the first is great

Posted by .

I remember going to a concert that Kevin Henderson played in the Scots Fiddle Festival a year or 2 back: his stated aim was to show how varied Shetland music could be - not all fast reels. He certainly succeeded in that, but can’t remember if he included any Stickle tunes!