BEST ceili/set dance reels

BEST ceili/set dance reels

I’m looking for suggestions for your favourite dance reels for fiddle. Not all reels roll off the fingers at 114-116 metronome mark, that’s for sure! Which tunes do you gravitate towards for ease of playing at dance speed?

Re: BEST ceili/set dance reels

Tunes like Rolling in the Rye Grass, Sally Gardens, The Tulla Reel, The Concertina Reel, The Knotted Cord, Monaghan Twig, The Wind that shakes the Barley. Best to keep it easy. And choose tunes where you can easy get lift into them.

Maid Behind the Bar / Salamaca reel
Christmas Eve
Silver Spear / Sally Garden’s…….are all good reels for set dancing + many many others.

Posted by .

Depends on the instrument. Doesn’t it?

Er, OP did specify fiddle!

I said fiddle, David. Guess you didn’t read my post. ;)

Any reel (in the Irish mould) is fair game. But it is safest to choose the simpler tunes. Those that are more difficult to play will require more concentration and are likely to draw your attention away from the rhythm and lift; similarly, those that are more melodically interesting are likely to draw you towards a more introspective, less rhythm-focused, style of playing.

Good suggestions so far. To add a few:

Glen Allen (The Kilmaley)
The Killavil
The Humours of Tulla
The Swallow’s Tail
Cooley’s
The Mountain Road
The Primrose Lass
The Mountain Top
Sporting Paddy

I could go on…

all good - I’d add McMahons, Sligo Maid, Castle Kelly, Temperance Reel, Ships are Sailing, Speed the Plough -all session favorites but solid ceili band tunes too, like the people say, keep it simple