irish flute around 700-900€

irish flute around 700-900€

Hi there!

I’d like to know if someone could suggest me some irish flute makers around that price. I’ve never played irish flute but I’m used to tin and low whistles for some years. So, is there any good choice between 400 polymer irish flutes and >2000€ irish wooden flutes?

Thanks you all!

Re: irish flute around 700-900€

I have one of these and I love it. Also a Whistle transition. https://carbony.com/products/flutes/

Lower end of your budget. Strong sound, easy playing. Carbon fibre is light, stable (hot/cold/humidity don’t affect) and indestructible.

I’d strongly recommend Martin Doyle! Fantastic tone and playability.

Posted by .

I’d second the suggestion of a Martin Doyle instrument. Great sound at a very good price.

Best wishes.

Steve

Wyldeman Fluter, is that your flute by chance? If so, you should probably make sure to mention that so as not to sound like you’re trying to offload it on an unsuspecting beginner.

OP, I’d add Gilles Lehart to your list to look at. I’ve had a Lehart for over a year now and love it. He has good deals on keyed flutes as well, so if you ever decide to get a keyed flute you’d already be familiar with his work.

I know few guys that swear about Doyle flutes.
I had a Seery for a while and liked it, but it was a pratten style when it seemed to that easier for me to play was a R&R model.
I heard a lot of good things about Glenn Watson flutes his keyless D is 900e http://www.watsonflutes.com/
but to be honest, the best thing when you’re buying an instrument is to take a close look at local makers and what local musicians are playing and try out as many as you can. That will give you an idea what are you looking for in a flute.
My old flatmate was playing Hammy Hamilton flute for year - great maker - but was not quite happy with it. His style of playing was so different from the makers that when he was playing F# it sounded flat. He took it to the maker who played it and sounded just fine. So my buddy got himself a Thomas Aebi flute - unfortunately I think it’s above your price limit - and he is happy with it.

Posted by .

Hi, Willywallace666. I’ve taught flute for a long time and I’ve been lucky enough to hear students playing different ones and had a go at a lot of them, so here’s my flute rant

Posted by .

There was a great, in-depth, fantastic and wonderful comment left by myself that I posTed wrong.

Posted by .

… Doyle Cotter or Hamilton

Posted by .

K

Posted by .

Martin Doyle and Glenn Watson birth make excellent flues. I have one of each, but they are very different animals.
Lesser known is Solen Lesouef of Brittany, who is making some amazing instruments. There is a YouTube video of Aoife Granville playing one of hers that is stunning.
There are some very good choices in this price range.

Solen Lesouef - great flute maker. I’ve also owned a Watson, also good - sweet sound - but
plays differently from the LeSouef - less edgy and weaker low D. The LeSouef is similar
to the feel of a Grinter flute and I prefer that edginess.

Good recommendations above, but I will add Francois Baubet to the list.