Kingston Irish Tunebook - worth a look

Re: Kingston Irish Tunebook - worth a look

Thanks for sharing

Page 6 : "The Session.org is not necessarily the most reliable source for scores – there are some gems, especially in the ‘Comments’ section, but there’s also a lot of dross, and really bad settings".

Posted by .

I just had a brief look. The third tune is "Dirty Old Town" listed as being in C. The transcription is in fact in F and all of the chords therefore are wrong. E.G the first chord should be an F etc. Something similiar has ocurred with "Abhrán na bhFiann(The Soldier’s Song), where the melody, as stated and notated, is in Bb but the chords above the melody are for the key of C. I have’nt had time to check any further but it looks to me like no one has proof read the chords. No offence meant, just pointing out the errors……………..

"The Session.org is not necessarily the most reliable source for scores – there are some gems, especially in the ‘Comments’ section, but there’s also a lot of dross, and really bad settings"

:) we can take some criticism can’t we? - some truth in it IMHO

"No offence meant, just pointing out the errors…………….."

Nothing to do with me - I thought some of the info at the front was interesting.

This is plainly a great resource. Some of the suggested chords are a bit flamboyant (or just wrong!) but on the whole a fab tome. Thank you for the link.

Glad you it’s of use Yhaal House - what’s the Kilkenny like these days? I heard the landlord was leaving

Yes! A change of circumstance at the Wig Museum seems imminent.

Strange selection of tunes for an IRISH tune book, for example in the Airs section slightly less than 50% are from elsewhere.

The Kingston Irish Tune Book was a group effort in so far as the content is concerned.There were many tunes chosen for being a favourite of one or more of the regular participants of the Kingston Irish music jams.I believe the term Celtic might more accurately describe what we achieved as opposed to pure Irish content.Because of the volume of tunes it contains, errors will occur in spite of the fact that proof reading was done. It was after all a stricly volunteer effort to make as accurate as possible a listing of tunes we all enjoy playing for our common use. The added info such as biographies and tune background make it a source of continued reference and entertaimnent just from a literary standpoint which I feel enhances its’ utility. If other folks find it does not serve their specific needs for a tune book, that is fine and dandy, but as for us, we find it serves us here in Kingston in excellent fashion.

The book idea is great - for a group to have a kinda standard repertoire gives everybody a chance to add a few shared tunes to the playlist. Also love the philosophy behind the "slow" session as inclusive of all abilities. The only way players are going to improve is to play along in live setting. This is a less intimidating format for developing the confidence and skills to play in full-paced sessions.

With regard to guitar chords… there is a note on page 3: Chords are suggested only, and cannot be taken as good until tried and tested.

@Callison - agreed, if this were available as a .ABC file would be great.

Have you produced a paper copy, or are you planning to? I’d willingly pay good money to be able to flick through it rather than using a computer.

Mark M: why not just print off your own copy?

Because then I’d land up with 500 pieces of paper scattered all over the floor rather than a nice book I can flick through.

Have you got no copy shops near you? They’ll put it in a ring binding for you. The good thing about it (as opposed to a book) is that it lies flat on the table (or music stand).
You could also take the pdf along on a memory stick and have them print it out double sided –> less paper.

One should note that the link provided above for the Kingston IRISH SESSION Tunebook may not contain the most recent version. The tunebook is constantly being revised and edited to correct errors. Although I don’t read music I can appreciate the immense effort on the part of Bob and Dave and other members of the session to produce this tune book. Kudos guys.