Loud bellows

Loud bellows

Just a quick question about the bellows on my pipes. I’ve noticed that every time I am playing, every time the bellows are open, or extended outwards there is a loud air sound, You can really hear all the air being sucked into the bellows. And it’s way louder than it should be, even hearing it above the actual playing on the chanter or drones every time the bellows are pumped. Would it be the valve in the bellows and is thereany fix for this? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advanced!

Re: Loud bellows

Do you have any leaks? Other than this sound are all the one-way valves tight and the pipes leak free? Was this sound less in the summer and has it been getting louder as it gets colder? Is your pipe maker (or their apprentice) still alive? Do you have a pipe maker close by? I would take it into a maker and have them look at it. If you have leaks it could still be the valve or you may have a leak elsewhere in the bag.

read this previous thread https://thesession.org/discussions/3584

I’ve encountered bellow noise, though it doesn’t sound like to the extent that you have. If I read your message correctly, it’s when you are opening the bellows and not when pumping air into the bag? Like Steve mentioned, a good first step for any air-related issues with the pipes is to check for any leaks. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a noisy intake valve on your bellows. Does your bellows have an easily removable intake valve? On my bellows it’s a turned wood piece with threading to keep it snug in the bellows, and I can work it out relatively easily. If you can work the valve out carefully, make sure the flap, usually leather, is intact and opening and closing properly. And when you put the valve back into the bellows, align it so that the flap is hanging down from the top of the valve when in the bellows and being played, allowing gravity to help with closing it. Assuming you were able to get the intake out and everything looks alright, contacting the maker would be a good next step if possible.

There are (or should be) two leather flapper valves to check, one right at the bellows intake and another in the blow pipe, where it is tied into the bag. Sometimes the leather can become dry or stiff, not allowing the valve(s) to open and close freely, or to open and close all the way. The excess intake noise sounds to me like the bellows intake flapper valve may not be opening all the way. If it’s dry, you could moisturize it with some leather conditioner. Also, check to make sure both of those valves are hanging down, that is, with the hinge on the top (when you are sitting down, with the bellows strapped on). That way, gravity will assist them in closing and sealing completely. If they’re not oriented correctly, it could interfere with them opening all the way too.

Shirt sleeve stuck in the inlet?

Posted by .

Hi I have just refurbished a set of Pakistani bellows that have this problem I. the leather is to stiff and noisy 2.
and this is what may be the problem the bellows are too big so when you draw in air you are getting to much volume. I would tend to put a stiffer clacker valve flap on to slow the intake. If you are getting occasional geese fart noises Its the bag valve.
Bryan

Posted by .