app for slowing tunes?

app for slowing tunes?

Whats the best way to download tunes from The Session, Ive changed to an imac, it doesn’t recognise windows media player, I had a lot of stuff downloaded onto different playlists etc, I liked it because of the slow down feature? thanks

Re: app for slowing tunes?

Audacity. Slows down, plays selected part of soundtrack in a loop, plots spectrum of uncertain/noisy notes.

Posted by .

I use QuickTime Pro version 7. Not sure if the built in QT player will change the speed.

QuickTime Player 7 supports playback from 1/2x to 3x in pretty notchy steps - probably 1/8 increments. Pitch shift is also supported in 4 half-tone steps below and above the actual pitch. This is all provided you’re one of the clever individuals that have kept hold of this particular piece of software, payed for the Pro license and have eschewed the use of the decidedly inferior QuickTime Player X. Unfortunately, some modes of QT7 aren’t supported under Sierra and High Sierra. QT7 is still very much inferior for a lot of things that Audacity, Transcribe! and Amazing Slow-Downer do. QT7 has not been updated since 2013. Caveat Emptor. QuickTime Player X or just Quicktime Player on Sierra.
I don’t like Sierra much but I have a new iMac (blew the last one up - don’t ask) and so have no choice. I loathe High Sierra and general path the Mac operating system is taking these days but hey, it’s no longer "The Computer For The Rest of Us" but rather a piece of software/hardware that’s very much secondary to Apple’s ios products. Too bad. I like Windows 7 too but MicroSoft and Apple are slogging it out to see who can screw up a good product the most the fastest.

"QuickTime Player X or just Quicktime Player on Sierra." Crud - an incomplete sentence - should just read "Quicktime Player in Sierra and High Sierra can record videos from the screen and some other neat things with the new version of QuickTime Player."

I use the Amazing Slow Downer which is easy to use and allows for note by note pitch changes too. Great app! But more recently I bought Capo which has the same facilities but also identifies the key of a piece and makes it easier to transcribe a complex piece, bar by bar.

Hi

I created youloop.io which allows to slow down and looo any YouTube video.

Have a look it’s free: http://www.youloop.io

You can also slow down any YouTube video just by going in the settings in the video

Transcribe or Audacity for sound files.
From The Session I just download the abc code and then use some abc-program, e.g. easy abc or abc navigator.

@Mikethebook: Where does one purchase Capo?

Capo is available in the App Store on Mac.

There’s a newer app called Loop2Learn that lets you slow down and loop parts of YouTube videos.

YouTube setings (the little gear icon [*]) allows videos to be speeded up or slowed down 50% - 74% 100% 125% - 150%. The jumps are a bit big.

Quicktime Pro 7 is still available to download and to obtain a PRO license (google it). I have both QuickTime 7 and QuickTime X on my mac.

Downloading the ABC files to EASYABC (Mac app, free) also allows you to play the ABC/score and view as ABC or dots and lines. Playback speed variable. Fine to kinda figure out a tune but because MIDI score player it’s like a robot sucked the life out of the tune - accurate perhaps but lacking any discernable character.

http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/
EasyABC is cross platform (MS Win, Mac OS X and Linux) so it looks kinda weird on a Mac - not bad but far from "native". But it is good fit for purpose, generates nice PDFs and helps you to keep ABC books of your tunes. I also use for generating Indexes with incipits (first 2 bars of tunes) which is handy for quick reference in a session.

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/mac/
Capo (Mac OS X app) is excellent - especially if you have an MP3 of a tune and just drop it it. Has speed controls on the original with pitch adjust auto. But remember any pitch adjust outside a narrow range is going to make the tune sound weird - ok for short while to learn or disassemble but not a long-term keeper strategy.

Audacity is amaxing but also not "native" OS X app. Awful complicated but very powerful GUI. If you need it - have fun. But not for the casual user or the faint of heart.

PS: Avoid SOURCEFORGE.NET downloads - no longer trust this site (malware, adware etc.)

The latest versions of Audacity have a slow-to-process but high quality option for changing tempo which is much better than any of the ‘on the fly’ slowdowners I have heard.

The offical download site seems to be http://www.audacityteam.org/ but when following its links for add-ons read all the warnings before clicking anything, especially anything big and green or blue.

I’ve used this “Music Practice” app for slowing down on my iPhone. You can import songs and record songs with the app to slow them down. However, as some people wrote in the reviews, there are a lot of ads that can be frustrating. I haven’t coughed up the 3 dollars yet. I am slightly disappointed that I can not import from Apple’s Voice Memo app, which is what I use for recording songs at my local session. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-practice-slow-down-music-trainer-change-music/id1079016673?mt=8

Oh whoops. That isn’t quite what the OP asked for, but maybe it will help someone.

I use audio stretch lite which can slow down and change pitch. Obviously better for single line stuff , but finally I can get those Eb tunes :-)

For use with Android phones, the best app I’ve seen and have been using for years is "Maple". It’s free and plays MP3s with independent pitch and tempo control. The "Maple Player JB" is also free and supports more file formats. Both apps (same author) support A-B looping, playlists, and much more. Highly recommended. I’m using it with >50GB of tunes on an micro-SD card without any issues.

Try Audipo (Android)
It does everything you could possibly want - its awesome - it’s free

Posted by .

@ breton_whistle : I kiss your hand for this info on YouTube!! I had no idea. In addition to folk music, I like to play baroque music, but SLOWLY! and today I played with the Munich Orchestra thanks to you!!