Kincora or cairdin

Kincora or cairdin

Hi all,
I am a good(ish) box player and am currently hoping to upgrade my accordion. I have narrowed it down to a Kincora or a Cairdin. I know very little about actual accordions - I am new to voices, couplers and the different types of reeds. I have tried a three voice Kincora and a 4 voice cairdin and really enjoyed playing both, and am now at a loss as to which to choose. Although I think (?) that I preferred the sound of the cairdin it is hard to know after only a few minutes of playing. On the other hand, I love how playable the Kincora is. There is also a bit of a difference in price - approximately €3500 for the Kincora and €4000 for the cairdin. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Re: Kincora or cairdin

I would say go for sound over playability, unless there’s a real problem with the cairdin (and I doubt that, I’ve met the maker and fooled around on one and they seem quite nicely built). Right now it might play a little differently from what you’re used to, but when it becomes your primary instrument you’ll get used to its little quirks and unique characteristics, and it’ll be the most playable accordion you know. At that point, liking the sound will be much more important to you.

A four-voice box is bound to be a little heavier and less "playable" than a three-voice. Few people choose a four-voice box these days. If you want a low voice, go for a three-voice LMM. Both makers offer them.

i can absolutely vouch for the playability and build quality of the 2 voice Cairdin - mine has been gigged and sessioned for about 11 years and just 1 reed needed attention in all that time. 4 voice I havent played, 3 voice would probably be easier to handle.

You can’t really go wrong with either one of them. Both are excellent boxes of excellent quality. More voices are heavier and thus a bit more difficult to handle, you’ll need to build strength but what you gain is versatility as you can switch between 3 or 2 voices.

Posted by .