Pure Drop III ~ Music, Drink & Dreams of Warmth on a Winter’s Night.

Pure Drop III ~ Music, Drink & Dreams of Warmth on a Winter’s Night.

This side of the atlantic pond there is a high mountain pass, above 12,000 feet elevation (Monarch Pass in Colorado). I just looked up the temperature on the national weather service. It is -15°C. I cannot imagine. How do you think they stay warm?

Here in Chico it is a moderate 17°C. I’ll get by with an ale, the usual jigs & reels and a warm bed til morning.

How is the climate where you are tonight? Hope you’re doing well!

Ben

Posted by .

Re: Pure Drop III? “Temperance Reel”…

Posted by .

Re: Pure Drop III ~ Music, Drink & Dreams of Warmth on a Winter’s Night.

It is cold and wet in Texas, and I am happy for the change, though we will probably be wearing shorts and firing up the BBQ pit by this weekend.

Where are you, Cheeky? I just returned from Port A. At least that’s the name locals are calling Port Aransas after the impact of Hurricane Harvey. Glad to hear you’re chilling where ever you are. Just keep the tunes & the barbeque hot. It’s supposed to be winter in the northern hemisphere. Don’t ya’ know?

Posted by .

Here in southern Indiana, just across the river from Kentucky, it is just above freezing. Good thing they make bourbon in Kentucky.

Posted by .

Here in the Salt Lake valley it’s 27 f. Colder on the benches and it’ll be colder by morning. This afternoon I put up my minimalist Christmas lights and walked my dogs in the little snow we have. I’m now amusing myself by trying to play tunes I know on my flute on my banjo. A new Highland Park single malt is helping. Local air quality laws prevent me from lighting a fire, but I’ll make do. All in all it’s a good night. Tomorrow night I’ll go to a house session and do the same thing, just not alone. I’d play your favorite tune if I knew what it was!

By the way I lived for about 4 years not far from Monarch Pass. I don’t think anyone lives on the pass, just near both bases. It was 40 years ago, before the InterwebiSomething times. You know back when good music came on vinyl and white thread had just been invented! We got by. Funny thing is that up until then I was pretty much an urban creature. During the first snowstorm of my first winter there I thought they’d be airlifting food and medical supplies. Still we got by.

I raise my glass to you Ben. I’m not great on California geography so I hope fires, past and present, leave you unscathed.

It is cold but clear and dry here in Idaho - perfect December weather! Because of celebrations and Christmas and New Year’s Eve, no session until January.

I am concerned for my recently departed Southern California presently engulfed in fire in three major populated locations that have significance in my life and because of hot, dry, gusty winds, the worst is yet to come.

Posted by .

I’m in the sticks just north of San Antonio, AB. What brought you to Texas?

Huh? -15 C? That’s only 5 F. Been in minus 37 F (-30 C) and found it COLD. It was still air, which helped.

Posted by .

@tdrury "Good thing they make bourbon in Kentucky". I was informed by an old flame’s granny, from Kentucky, that the state was the home to fast women and beautiful horses… and that her dear departed husband maintained he was not drunk until he could neither stand nor see!

Posted by .

-15 Celsius? Ah sure that’s grand! A decent jacket and you’d be fine.

Try spending a winter in Alberta, Canada. I remember temperatures dipping to somewhere around -45, with -30 being pretty standard.

I always found temperatures down to around -20 C to be OK, but once they got to -25 or so, anything from there downwards all felt the same. Now that’s when you need hat, scarf, gloves and the whole lot!

It’s 28 F here in my corner of northern Vermont this morning, not bad for December. Around here it isn’t really cold until it’s less than 10 F, with a north wind. Until then, folks get by wearing a parka with their shorts.
(It’s a Vermont thing, along with wearing flip-flops stubbornly late into the cold weather).

We haven’t had the first big snow of the season yet and most folks I know are eagerly waiting for it. In the meantime, I’m staying warm working out which key is best for the Wexford Carol on a 28-string harp, downing the occasional Blue Moon, and looking forward to a Lunasa concert on the 15th.

AB said: "How do you think they stay warm?"

I grew up in Colorado, and worked all one winter on the North Slope and Beaufort Sea of Alaska, 300+ miles north of the Arctic Circle. It was 40-50 below zero (F) plus wind chill every "day" (24 hours of darkness in the winter), and we lived in a mobile camp of flimsy metal trailers. You stay warm two ways: 1) eat an insane amount of calories every day, and 2) dress for it. Took me about 2-3 weeks to acclimate and become accustomed to it. Most of the guys that flew up from Houston or anywhere in the south (for the money) never did acclimate and they quit and went home.

Meanwhile, home now is north Texas; we have yet to get our first freeze. It’s cool and dry this morning, 39 degrees F.

Here in San Francisco it’s in the low 60’s F during the day and low 50’s F at night, no heat in my apartment and feels grand still. Far cry from my farmhouse in East Galway where I’d be up at the arse crack of dawn to get the fires going to make things habitable!

I’m a spoiled rotten scoundrel seeping in Southern California also. The ocean water is still warm and surfs up. Can’t wait to get above 9000 feet.

Posted by .

Eleven degrees on the way to work in a town with a population of 100 people in the panhandle of Nebraska this morning. I can play along with jigs and reels on my bodhran (yes, I said that word) and there is literally no one to complain. Lovely, especially with a bit of Jameson’s finest waiting at home tonight.

Thanks, everybody. Ross, if you do Google Earth it’s a good way to get an aerial perspective of the creeks and canyons above Chico (in the northern Sacramento River valley) working their way down. We’re lowlanders but not far from the foothills and Mt. Lassen, Trinity Alps, Snow Mt., et. al. The current devastation is far to the south (Ventura Co.) and is driven by extremely powerful downslope winds. The winds are unforgiving. My heart goes out to everyone.

Cheeky, I was in Texas to visit my sister, niece, her husband and their 3 children. Great visit! If you know where Comfort, Tx is that is where they evacuated to during Harvey. I’ve never been there. They were fortunate in having some friends who gave them permission to stay on what sounds like a beautiful place, next to nowhere for a brief shelter from the storm. Home again, home again to pick up the pieces. That would be Port Aransas.

The rest of you with your heart warming (heart-rending?) stories I love hearing them.

Keep ‘em coming, if anyone is still reading. If you hear a good tune please post a clip. I really don’t have a topic you need to stay on.

;)

Posted by .

Love it postie. That’s Kentucky all right.

Posted by .

AB, Comfort is right down the road from me. I hope your sister and family are able to get their lives back together soon. I am very familiar with Port A, having lived all over the Gulf coast as a child. Several of the little towns that I once called home have been blown right of the map. It’s heartbreaking.

https://youtu.be/XpHMwfBcgsM

Around the freezing mark in Cape Breton, give or take a few degrees. Haven’t got the serious cold or snow yet, though the predictions are for an even bigger snow year than the last few. It’s a rainy cold, with the woodstove on every night. and it’s taking me longer than usual to get adjusted. Was working outside last winter, building a house; glad it’s all inside projects this winter. Trying to narrow down some single malts for Xmas; definitiley whiskey weather.

Appreciate the clip, Cheeky Elf. My family on Mustang Island will have a grand Christmas. Things are moving slow for the recovery but for those who live there they are very close-knit; you know. Amazing the contrast between how Harvey had a field day around Rockport, Aransas Pass, & Port Aransas then you go up to Corpus Christi and it’s a completely different world. Let me know if you’re going down to the Gulf coast. I haven’t planned my next trip yet. But when I was flying over St. Joseph, Mustang Island and South Padre part of me never left the islands.

Posted by .

Here in Northern India, in the foothills of the Himalayas, it’s about 7 C tonight. Will get cooler, then in the morning when the sun comes up the temps rise, maybe to a pleasant 16 C or so. Nice weather, though a hot water bottle may soon make an appearance.

Just got some photos emailed to me taken from the window of my place back home (not far from Ballygar in East Galway) - blanketed in snow so it is!