Tony Dixon whistles - so many choices!

Tony Dixon whistles - so many choices!

I was looking at the Tony Dixon website (I am still looking for the perfect "C" whistle and Killarney isn’t making one) and there are so many different kinds of whistles my head is spinning. Can somebody explain the difference between these?

Soprano whistle - that’s the standard tinwhistle I think?
Alto whistle
Tenor whistle - is this the low whistle?
Piccolo whistle
He also has flutes on the site but they look like whistles???

thanks.

Re: Tony Dixon whistles - so many choices!

What bizarre way of organising a web site!

The piccolo/whistle are a combo. One tube with whistle head and a piccolo head.
So far as I can see the flutes are all flutes.
Soprano/alto/tenor is high/middle/low. Soprano seems to be C, D and Eb

So far as I can see only the DX006 is available in C, so if that’s what you want it’s easy.

And if I may, Dixon’s C whistle is excellent, especially considering its affordable price.

One note : think of ordering a couple of extra heads (they’re 10£ for 2) as the quality and characteristics of the sound varies from one head to another and you’ll be happy to have several options.

Does anyone know if those heads fit Generation bodies? Am thinking of getting a Dixon Trad E, but also wondering if I can try out the Dixon sound on one of my existing Generations.

I googled "piccolo whistle" because I’d never heard that before, and it seems like he’s the only one who makes them. So would that be an octave higher than the soprano? and the alto would be what?

I think I will email them and report back.

Piccolo is the same pitch and size as a whistle like the Killarney but you blow it sideways like a flute.

If I read the Tony Dixon web site correctly:
Soprano is E, Eb, D and C . That is the D as in the Killarney
Alto is Bb, A and G
Tenor (Low) is F and D.
If he makes any other keys I didn’t spot them.

People tend to use Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass when a flute or whistle could be in one of two keys. It may match recorder terminology, I don’t know.

The highest pitch whistle you are likely to encounter is the Generation G which is the same G as the ‘three finger note’ on a D whistle. Any higher than that and the holes would be too close for most people’s fingers. It is very shrill - mine has a dent in it where a family member tried to destroy it. Below the low D many people find the holes too far apart.

I have a Dixon Alloy C and it’s a bazooka! I prefer my Freeman Tweaked Generation. On the high end I have an O’brien Delrin in C which is very nice.

This is a very belated thanks to all who commented, especially to David50 who figured out the maze of whistle types.