Nice E String to go with Dominants

Nice E String to go with Dominants

Hi there,
I’m just looking for some recommendations for an E string for fiddle that suits the Dominant strings.
Please don’t tell me metal strings are better for fiddle blah blah blah… I’ve heard it all and I’ve tried a lot of them, and I still prefer Dominants or similar synthetic strings. Just looking for a nice E string.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Nice E String to go with Dominants

For what it’s worth, I’ve found myself happier with wound Es than plain.

Posted by .

I used to use a fiddle which Dominants suited and I just used the Dominant E in the pack. It was fine. I have a second fiddle on which the Dominant E sounded really zingy and after experimenting with this and that and none of them sounding right I decided to get it an entirely different strings. It sounds good with Evah Pirazzi (now ludicrously expensive) or with Corelli Cantiga strings on it. The top string still zings but somehow it fits in with the rest.

E strings are almost always made of all metal. I use Dominants for all four strings but I use their aluminum wound E string (it’s a steel wire wound with aluminum) as opposed to the more standard plain steel wire. When I play open E on the steel wire it tends to ‘whistle’. When I was a kid/teenager playing classical music I used the pirastro olive gold-plated E (still a steel wire, plated with gold) but that seems like overkill for what I almost always use the fiddle for now, i.e. playing traditional Irish music in pubs while drinking beer or whiskey.

I think it would help to know why Gallowglass doesn’t like the sound of the Dominant E. The ear next to an E string can hear some nasty noises coming off it that don’t travel to other people listening and I wonder if some people keep changing and changing their E strings because they don’t like sounds which others have learnt to ignore? That E string is just so close to your ear!

Olives are expensive, as you say tdrury, and I found on the fiddle where the E has the real zing on it that the Olive was worse with a set which was otherwise Dominants than the Dominant E was. It’s a fault in the fiddle and changing the E string alone just seemed to emphasise the difference.

Wondertone Gold Label is sort of the "standard"

If you have a violin that needs a bit more response on the lower end a higher tension option is the Jargar Forte

I used to use Dominant G-A and a Pirastro Olive E to soften the top end.

Having spent many years messing around with other strings, I settled on this combination for a while. However, I bought a new fiddle this year which came with Evah Pirazzis and I’m completely converted (for this instrument)…. Expensive I know, but I change my strings when they break.

E strings …

Hi,

A friend, playing Irish music, Chris O’Brien is using Heliocore, and finds that it is an improvement. She has had the same experience others express here with Dominants, and the search for the elusive, magic, mythical E string. She had some good experiences with Westminster as well.

joHn

I use Golden Spiral strings by Kaplan.

It was another player who complained about the noise from my E string during a concert rehearshal. Not the most tactful way to do things. He wasn’t unfriendly but advised me that most people changed the "E" string if they used Dominants. I didn’t know that before.

I made some enquiries and a fellow fiddler suggested the Golden Spirals and, fair enough, they do sound a lot softer.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My problem with the plain steel Dominant E is that it feels very weak, I like to feel a bit more of tension under my fingers, and the tone and projection are very poor.
I will try the Dominant wound E, which seems to be a bit more tense.
I’ve tried a wound Helicore E in the past, but it was a heavy tension one and it was out of balance with the other strings, making the A string especially sound weird. Maybe a wound Helicore E Medium would be better?

Its been a decade or so, but I don’t remember wound string giving a stronger sound. Warmer, friendlier, smoother, yes, but not necessarily powerful.

If you want brilliance and power, there are only really a couple of notables. Jargar Forte is probably the best in this category. Or perhaps the Goldbrokat. Or as was mentioned earlier, most Pirastro gold Es are in this category.

If you’re looking for warmth and power, I say forget it. Go with the Jargar so you can more readily channel your inner Godfather. https://youtu.be/B_1HYTDu1ik

Posted by .

@Gallowglass :

You could also consider the Warchal Amber E - I found it had a sweet tone, and it’s also got a spiral winding at the bridge end too, which helps prevent whistling. It looks bizarre, but it works.

When the string comes out of the packet, it is coiled at the bridge end, and the coils straighten out when you bring it up to tension.

Also, regardless of string brand, bridge cushioning is very important - either the (optional) cushioning on the bridge itself, or on the string. Or on both.

On Google images, searching "warchal amber e string" shows some pictures immediately.

This link http://www.warchal.com/amber.html gives an explanation for the coil.

What tdrury sais. Pretty well nails it. I have spent 20 years in the violin retail trade.

I am using at the moment Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Gold, on my fiddle, and I love them E and all.

After much experimentation, I use Goldbrokat Es—the best news of all, they’re among the cheapest around. But that’s not an indication of cheap quality—a number of big guns in the classical world use them too.

I had a similar reaction to Dominant Es (wound): it was the only string I’ve ever taken off my fiddle within days of putting it on. Didn’t like the feel, response, or tone.