Unesco

Unesco

Now that UNESCO has recognised the Uilleann pipes as the heritage sound of Ireland
What does it mean to you?
Will there be an abundance of grants to promote the making and playing of this magnificent instrument.
Where to now
Bryan

Re: UNESCO

What’s "UNESCO"?

Here on the West coast USA, I don’t think it means anything much.

Supposedly NPU have made all their electronic teaching materials free (with new membership?), so maybe that’s a thing.

Posted by .

I notice NPU have a facebook page that is static. The release of pipe plans would be a plus and a user friendly NPU site would be welcome.

Digression

It is no surprise that, in the above clip, all the pipers of the older generation (~50 upwards) are male. What is striking, however, is that every single one of the younger pipers shown is female. Does this reflect the actual demographic among the upcoming generation of pipers or has the producer deliberately chosen only girls to try and put across a particular image?

More girls than ever before are taking up the pipes, per my sources at NPU and the Armagh Pipers’ Club. I cannot speak to the UNESCO video producer’s intentions.

As a teacher, I can say it is harder than ever to find young students with sufficient focus and work ethic to make a go of the pipes, so if girls want to try the pipes, more power to them.

"… if girls want to try the pipes, more power to them."

I agree entirely - I was just intrigued by the idea that, in the space of a couple of generations, piping could have gone from being an almost exclusively male pursuit to a predominantly female one. The trend applies, of course to all instruments in traditional music to some degree, but the piping world in particular seems to have been a little slower to shift in this respect - I, at least, am not aware of any high-profile female pipers before Louise Mulcahy.

CreadurMawnOrganig said: "I, at least, am not aware of any high-profile female pipers before Louise Mulcahy."

Máire Ní Ghráda and Heather Clarke spring to mind…

Sheila Friel? Not sure if she is any older than Louise Mulcahey.

"Máire Ní Ghráda and Heather Clarke spring to mind… Sheila Friel?"

OK – there may be significant gaps in my knowledge of pipers and piping. But it is telling that I can name (and/or have met) plenty of male pipers yet only a handful of female ones.

Bryan said: "Now that UNESCO has recognised the Uilleann pipes as the heritage sound of Ireland
What does it mean to you?"

Some of us knew it already. ;^)

One the one hand, anything that promotes the instrument or brings it to the awareness of more people is a Good Thing I suppose. Somewhat like the old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

On the other hand, I guess it depends on your opinion of the U.N. as viable, useful organization, or not.
And just so you know, it also puts uilleann piping on the same pedestal as… pizza twirling and oil wrestling, among other things. Seriously - check out all the other things that have been awarded Cultural Heritage of Humanity status.

I guess I choose to be an optimist, and hope that it is a Good Thing.

Pizza tossing you are diminishing a great tradition. Oil wrestling you try and get the top of an oil can.
What about the TANGO a worthy recipient.

The M/F imbalance: I would not be playing pipes if it were not for Heather Clarke her playing and Book. Maybe contribution to the art of piping should be a factor . That old M/F chestnut is not helpful

The wonderful Basel Fasnacht was also added to the UNESCO list this year, and that’s another area where female participation in the fifing, drumming, and brass bands has gone from tiny to huge in the past twenty? Years or so.

As for the value of the UNESCO list, I look on it as like Joni Mitchell says - you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone ….