What would you listen to during…

What would you listen to during…

A world-class thunderstorm?

We’ve been getting a wave of thunderstorms that’s been rolling through town for five plus hours now. The storm that started it was what’s called a gullywasher, a brief but intense downpour that floods the gutters. Then about an hour later the REAL storm started: a tropical downpour that was so dense you couldn’t see across the street. It lasted for 30 minutes, flooded the lower end of the little plaza in the center of town, probably drowned the ducks in the duck pond in the park by the plaza *grin*, and provoked a power outage that sent me home for the day.

When the big storm rolled in, I was listening to the Boys of the Lough, Live At Passim. The track? The Darling Baby. Not inappropriate, although I wish this baby’s mum would come home so he’d stop crying! (This place gets 19 inches of rain a year. I think we’ve gotten two or three of them today.) Then I put on Celtic Fiddle Festival, Johnny’s Big Set, to listen to Hurricane Bob. When I got home after the power outage, I put on Sailors Oer Da Rooftrees. Then company came over, so I had to be good and play nice mellow background music. (I put on Patrick Ball, who blends nicely with falling rain.)
So if you were sitting out a storm like this, what would YOU listen to?

Sara (peering out from under the eaves at a streak of late sunlight, maybe posting this broke the curse?)

Re: What would you listen to during…

Sara not being funny but I would listen to the storm. They don’t come very often (around here anyway) and I have yet to hear musos that can create that atmosphere.

Having said that we did have our own little storm down here last night, not much rain but a great light show.

Conrad

I like to sit on the window sill and watch storms. All I need to do to create one is hold a barbecue - One barbecue I held ended in a house across the road being hit by lightning and catching fire!!
I’m actually listening to Liz Doherty - Quare Imagination which has a track on called The Flood on the road to Glenties!

Don’t say that Tarantella I’ve got some people over and I’m planning a BBQ later when I get out of this SH1T HOLE some call the office.

"On" by Aphex Twin. The recent storms over here have been a bit half-hearted. It doesn’t rain much.

Darnoc - As long as I don’t plan a BBQ for the same time you’ll be fine. I had a group of Welsh dancers and musicians staying with me while performing at a local festival - my husband landed up cooking the BBQ with a fishing umbrella held over him! But the music was fabulous that night!
You think your office is bad - our chiller broke down yesterday and the temperatur was over 30 degrees all day - with parts of the building reaching 38!!

do you think we are having climate change?

We had a belting thunderstorm last night.
My dog got in bed with me.

The most amazing thunderstorm in recent years took place during the final party at Tonder festival two years ago. There was a non stop deluge and the tent was struck by lighting affecting the electrics. As a result, the "official entertainment" had to come to a premature end but several impromtu sessions started up and a great time was had by one and all until about five o’clock in the morning. There were the obligatory "Irish tunes" of course but also blues numbers from Hans Theesink, Donovan singing his sixties hits along with the Dubliners and various other combinations. A fun night.

I once drove about 60 km into Jindabyne (in the Snowy Mountains) to an outdoor production of ‘The Tempest’ by The Thredbo Players. As the "orchestra" struck up, so did the storm. The audience made a mad dash for cover leaving the players rending soggy lines to a howling squal, then I remembered I had left the vent in the roof of the caravan I was staying in open. I jumped into the car and sped the 60 km back to the van, by which time it was over.

I mean both the production and the storm, of course.

Sara, that was your official welcome to S. Oregon—the place where all the precip comes on 4 or 5 days. ;-]

We also had the storm thing going on—and rain, which was a nice treat. What usually happens is dry lightening, then the fires start, then it’s smoky and crappy for weeks.

But does anyone notice how a strong front coming through makes you all tense and edgy. I played with some friends last night as the clouds roiled outside, and nothing quite sounded like it should. We butchered some tunes and called it quits early.

Conrad, I did listen to the storm during its peak times, but the rest of the time (being stuck in a loft office in a shop, with flats overhead) I couldn’t hear it. I’m a storm nut myself, although so many over such a short time is a bit much even for me. But I thought the timing of the downpour relative to the music was pretty good.
Dave, LOL! Your comment reminded me of a Great Pyrenees we had when I was a teenager. Thunder scared him, and he would insist on climbing into somebody’s lap —- all 175 lbs of him!
Batlady, I was going to have a practice last night but a local friend of mine who’s a fiddler emailed me and warned me not to; he said these waves of storms mess up the fiddle, and his always takes days to settle back into tune after one of them. I checked mine tonight, and sure enough, all of the tuning pegs had let go. After I finish here, I get to go see how out of whack it is. :(
Thanks, everybody!
Saraa