Can I be bold enough to ask for help to write the ABC/dots for my tune?

Can I be bold enough to ask for help to write the ABC/dots for my tune?

About a weeek ago I posted a link to a tune/waltz I have written. I play together with a fiddle player that use dots to learn new stuff. I have no idea how to transcribe into ABC or dots. I would be very grateful if some of you experienced people could do me the favour and help me out.
Here’s the tune
https://youtu.be/2M97mjkqb1s

Note to my self; learn to write music…

Ketil

Posted by .

Re: Can I be bold enough to ask for help to write the ABC/dots for my tune?

it can be a hard road Ketil, over 50 years playing and i still haven’t gotten around to it - but that’s me, maybe it will be easy for you! I hope someone posts the dots for Luca, I can take it to my local session and get them to learn it. Godt nytt ar ‘18 [sorry I don’t have that little Scandinavian accent on my kb]

Hope this suits.
If you give me the chords I can insert those as well.

X:1
T:Three Hugs for Luca
C:Ketil Simonsen-Liland
L:1/8
M:3/4
K:G
DG>A | B3 d B>A | G3 A G>E | D2 (G4 | G3) D G>A | B3 d B>A | G3 G E>G | (A6 |$ A3) D G>A |
B3 d B>A | G3 A G>E | D2 G2 d2 | B4 g>e | d3 e d>B | A3 G B>A | (G6 G3) :|
|: g>f | e3 f g>e |
d4 B>A | B3 d B>A | G2 E2 g>f | e3 f g>e | d2 e2 g2 | (a6 | a3) d g>f |$ e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A |
B2 d2 e2 | E4 G>A | B4 e2 | A3 G B>A | (G6 | G4) :|

Hehe.. I am afraid it wont be that easy for me either. I have learned enough abc to use it as a tool when learning tunes. I often combine Amazing slow downer, abc and my ears and slowly get by. It does get easier with time learning by ear, but I am not there quite yet. But still I have no clue writing down the notes. Maybe I’ll just have to force my fiddlefriend to learn it by ear!

Posted by .

Wow!! @ Alpinerabbit! Thank you so much! Very nice of you! Happy new year to you and you made it a good start of mine!

Posted by .

And you! I get to visit beautiful Norway (Bergen) this May!

Lovely! If someone can add the chords, I’ll take it along to a tune sharing session in the South West UK next week!

Happy new year all!

I did add some very simple dobro chords and think I played G-C-G-G-C-D-G-C-G-C-Bm-D-G on the A part and starting the B part in C. And I went from Bm to Em at the e2 to E4 part.

@PJD17MINI; If you present the tune to someone I would be very proud and happy. Even more, if you actually play it it would be fantastic!

Posted by .

I think you meant something like this…? I also fixed a typo towards the end of the B part

DG>A |"G" B3 d B>A |"C" G3 A G>E |"G" D2 (G4 | G3) D G>A | B3 d B>A |"C" G3 G E>G |"D"(A6 | A3) D G>A |"G" B3 d B>A |"C" G3 A G>E |"G" D2 G2 d2 |"Em" B4 g>e |"Bm" d3 e d>B |"D" A3 G B>A |"G" (G6 | G3) :|
|:g>f |"C" e3 f g>e |"G"d4 B>A |"Bm"B3 d B>A |"Em" G2 E2 g>f | "C"e3 f g>e | "G"d2 e2 g2 | "C"(a6 |"D" a3) d g>f |"C" e3 f g>e |"G" d3 d B>A |"Bm"B2 d2 e2 |"Em" E4 G>A |"G" B4 d2 |"D" A3 G B>A |"G" (G6 | G4) :|

meh. Measure 7 in the B part sounds better with Am?

g>f | "C"e3 f g>e | "G"d2 e2 g2 | "Am"(a6 |"D" a3)

@Alpinerabbit: You’re taking a bit of artistic licence with the chords there. I think this is closer to what Ketil plays:

DG>A | "G" B3 d B>A | "C" G3 A G>E | "G" D2 (G4 | G3) D G>A | B3 d B>A | "C" G3 G E>G | "D" (A6 | A3) D G>A | "G" B3 d B>A | "C" G3 A G>E | "G" D2 G2 d2 | "Bm" B4 g>e | "G" d3 e d>B | "D" A3 G B>A | "G" (G6 G3 :|
|: g>f | "C" e3 f g>e | "G" d3 d B>A | "Bm" B3 d B>A | "G" G2 E2 g>f | "C" e3 f g>e | d2 e2 g2 | "D" (a6 | a3) d g>f | "C" e3 f g>e | "G" d3 d B>A | "Bm" B2 d2 e2 | "Em" E4 G>A | "G" B4 d2 | "D" A3 G B>A | "G" (G6 | G4) :|

I guess I did. Anyway happy waltzing folks!

Thanks a lot both of you! I think creadur nailed it with the chords I used, but I am not the one to judge what sounds the best. I am a melody player and know little about backup. Anyway I am thrilled that my tune is up for debate! Motivating! Thanks!

Posted by .

"I am not the one to judge what sounds the best."

In that case, the one change I would be inclined to make is in the 4th full bar of the B-part, where I would change the G chord to either C or Em, thus:

"C" e3 f g>e | "G" d3 d B>A | "Bm" B3 d B>A | "C (Em)" G2 E2 g>f |

My own preference would be for C, since you use Em at the corresponding place in the 2nd half of the B-part. There are all sorts of passing chords possible (like the Am suggested by Alpinerabbit) with which the accompaniment could be elaborated, but what you have here is a good basic framework.

Lovely tune - well worth the effort.

I’m a bit surprised that no one else has said it, but whether you use dots or ABCs or not for your own playing, if you’re going to be doing music for any length of time, and attempting to communicate with others about it, it would be a good use of your time to LEARN THIS STUFF YOURSELF. Really, it will come in handy.

Thanks. Someone else did say that, actually I did in the OP; "Note to my self; learn to write music…"

Posted by .

Try it. You do read dots I hope?
Maybe start by transcribing something simple- Britches full of stitches and check against the settings on here?
If you want to go digital - I use MuseScore, it’s free. ABC conversion comes with a plugin that I’ been too lazy to install. I use EasyABC instead.

I do not read dots either :-) When I started playing tin whistle I used tin whistle tablature and when I started learning the dobro I also used tablature.. Never too late to learn though!

Posted by .

I love EasyABC. There’s a reason one window is titled "ABC code" and the one above it is titled "Musical score". Learn to code the tune as abc and it will show up as the score. Learn the dots to play from, not the code.

Now… if I’m not completely off-base, the timing seems a tad weird to me. You can check the timing of a score by adding a "V:2" at the end and adding additional rests and see where they line up. If you’re using an abc editor with midi playback like EasyABC, you can listen for discontinuities that aren’t readily apparent in the score if you’re fresh to this sort of thing. For instance, the notes with a length of over six counts that cross a bar should be noted as ties with a "-" following the first not to tie it to the next. Parentheses will join them together visually, audibly, there will be a break in the note. I learned this the hard way from the choir leader at church.

DG>A | B3 d B>A | G3 A G>E | D2 G4- |
G3 D G>A | B3 d B>A | G3 G E>G | A6- |
A3 D G>A | B3 d B>A | G3 A G>E | D2 G2 d2 |
B4 g>e | d3 e d>B | A3 G B>A | G6- | G3 :|
|: g>f | e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B3 d B>A | G2 E2 g>f |
e3 f g>e | d2 e2 g2 | a6- | a3 d g>f |
e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B2 d2 e2 | E4 G>A |
B4 d2 | A3 G B>A | G6- | G4 :|
V:2
z3 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |z3 :|
|: z2 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |

Also, I have a personal preference for four bars to a line (not including lead-ins like that found in the B part. The A part looks like it’s a lead-in but with six counts, it has to be a whole bar. So, here’s the score divided up by counts of six and four bars per measure. I may have it entirely wrong and someone is sure to point out the errors of my ways but I’m pretty new to this stuff too. Note: the %%scale allows me to see the whole score on just one page on my computer. YMMV.

X:2
%%scale .65
DG>A B3 | d B>A G3 | A G>E D2 G- | G5 D |
G>A B3 d | B>A G3 G | E>G A4- | A5 D |
G>A B3 d | B>A G3 A | G>E D2 G2 | d2 B4 |
g>e d3 e | d>B A3 G | B>A G4- | G5 z :|
|: g>f | e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B3 d B>A | G2 E2 g>f |
e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B2 d2 e2 | "Em"E4 G>A |
B4 d2 | A3 G B>A | G6- | G4 :|
V:2
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 :|
|: z2 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 | z6 |
z6 | z6 | z6 | z4 :|

When you’re done checking, you just delete the "V:2" section.

Don’t you hear DG>A as a lead-in to the A-part?
DG>A |:B3 d B>A|G3 A G>E|D2 G4-|G3 D G>A |
B3 d B>A|G3 G E>G|A6 | A3 D G>A | etc.

Four bars per line.

@jeff: Perhaps "semi-completely off-base"? ;^)
If the first two bars of the first two lines are the lead-in (aurally, that makes sense to me), then adding a rest and writing the first two lines as just one with repeats for differences would get you this:

DG>A B3 | dB>A G3 |1 A G>E D2 G- | G5 z :|2 G E>G A3- | A6 |]

Adding a rest though is not what AlpineRabbit scored.

Actually I was thinking of four lines with four bars, no rests. The first lead-in before the A part begins:
DG>A |:B3 d B>A|G3 A G>E|D2 G4-|G3 D G>A |
B3 d B>A|G3 G E>G|A6-|A3 D G>A|
B3 d B>A |G3 A G>E|D2 G2 d2|B4 g>e|
d3 e d>B |A3 G B>A|G6- |1 G3 DG>A :|2 G4 g>f||
|: e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B3 d B>A | G2 E2 g>f |
B4 d2 | A3 G B>A | G6- |1 G4 g>f:|2 G3 DG>A||

That’s how I’d write it, but I can see the point of putting a repeat sign before the lead-in, smth like this perhaps?

|:DG>A |B3 d B>A|G3 A G>E|D2 G4-|G3 D G>A |
B3 d B>A|G3 G E>G|A6-|A3 D G>A|
B3 d B>A |G3 A G>E|D2 G2 d2|B4 g>e|
d3 e d>B |A3 G B>A|G6- |1 G3 :|2 G4||
|:g>f| e3 f g>e | d3 d B>A | B3 d B>A | G2 E2 g>f |
B4 d2 | A3 G B>A | G6- |1 G4 :|2 G3 ||

Rhytmically it makes sense, but (I think) it looks awkward to have two lead-ins and to repeats of different lengths (DG>A , g>f ; G3 , G4 ). Maybe that’s the way it should be done.

This is going to look really ugly but thesession’s background web software reduces multiple spaces to single spaces and does not use a mono-spaced font so it’s not possible to show the form of each bar of music without sticking in a slew of periods. Ugly, really ugly. Oh well. It’s relatively easy to see the note patterns if the leading two bars of the A part are not considered a lead-in as much as they are a repeating musical phrase of six counts with the subsequent bars six counts as well excepting the B part lead-in and the last bar of the b part. It still requires adding two rests to make the patterns match count-wise but the form of the notes in each part will follow very closely nearly all of the ITM music you’ll find. Seriously, after coding over a 1200 tunes to abc notation, the patterns found in trad take on a particular significance when you’re looking at the music. That’s why I’m mentioning the six-count form for the A part. It follows the six count bar beautifully - right up to those rests. It can still be a horribly incorrect approach as I did add rests but there is always the possibility the original transcription missed the rests as they are recorded. Me… I can’t count off beats worth a squat so I won’t go back and listen to music and try to discern whether are actually rests in there or not. Here’s the tune padded out with periods. There’s a visual rhythm to the phrasing but the periods are unfortunately way more confusing than blank spaces.

D.G>A.B3.|.d.B>A..G3.|.A.G>E..D2.G-.|.G5.z……….|
D.G>A.B3.|.d.B>A..G3.|.G.E>G..A3-…..|.A6………….|
D.G>A.B3.|.d.B>A..G3.|.A.G>E..D2.G-.|.G.d2..B3-..|
B.g>e.d3…|.e.d>B..A3..|.G.B>A..G3-…..|.G4.z2……..|
|:.g>f…|.e3.f.g>e..|..d3.d.B>A…..|.B3.d.B>A..|.G2.E2.g>f.|
…………..e3.f.g>e..|..d2.e2.g2…….|.a6-…………|.a3.d.g>f….|
…………..e3.f.g>e..|..d3.d.B>A…..|.B2.d2.e2…|.E4.G>A…..|
…………..B4.d2…..|..A3.G.B>A…..|.G6-………..|.G4…………:|

I am utterly lost…:-) But still I enjoy you guys debating my tune. Carry on!

Posted by .

Hi, Ketil.

There is an online abc converter/utility which you might check out. It is like Easy Abc, just online.
Here is the link ~ http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

I read above that you have used whistle tablature. The mandolin tab utility can be used to score sheet music w/tab. I thought you might want to see how it appears.

I pasted the A part of Alpinerabbit’s transcription into the converter, selected *whistle* from the drop down menu for tablature, then entered * D * for the (whistle) key, then I clicked on *share* hoping you could
view it with the following link ~ http://www.mandolintab.net/recent.php

Right now it’s the 1st tune. If that changes, if it goes down the queue or disappears, I also copied this link.

http://www.mandolintab.net/recent/5Mc8oR-000.png

ps … this one too, if it works ~ http://converter.mandolintab.net/conv2pdf.php?abc=tmp/IEHweo&paper=letter&fmt=fmt/flute.fmt

Posted by .

"I am utterly lost…:-) But still I enjoy you guys debating my tune. Carry on!"

Not a problem Ketil, some of us enjoy floundering around in the quagmire of abc notation! ;^)

Thanks AB! I have used mandolintab before and luckily enough I dont need tab for my own tune :-) I understand you sent the links to show how it works and thank you for doing that.

Posted by .

I can’t think of the first phrase as anything else than a lead-in. If that means I have to let the tune "start" after that phrase, no problem. (e.g. The Bluemont waltz - https://thesession.org/tunes/14664 )

(It’s not a competition, but I’ve also done my share of ABC transcriptions - 1500 or thereabouts.)