Sessions in south-west Scotland?

Sessions in south-west Scotland?

Hi

I’ll be near Newton Stewart for a very short time (3 days/nights, probably a Sat/Sun/Mon although it’s not 100% confirmed just yet) at the beginning of February 2018.

Does anyone have up-to-date information about Irish sessions in the area or willing to get together for a one-off? The ‘sessions’ tab may or may not be current. I’d be willing to travel 30 miles or more from NS if necessary.

Thanks
David

Re: Sessions in south-west Scotland?

Thanks Trish

We may be there that night, the actual dates aren’t confirmed yet.

I’m sure we’ll find something or have a good time trying.

David

The Steam Packet in Isle of Whithorn on the 3rd Sunday of the Month 2.00 on, I think the Cock Inn at Achenmalg on the 1st Sunday, but you’d need to check, that one moves about a bit, and there used to be one in the Crown in Newton Stewart on Saturdays, but I’m not sure if that is still going.

Thanks Mark, note taken.

Saturday 3rd February 2018 to Tuesday 6th inclusive. Only four nights but if anyone hears anything definite going on, we’re up for it.

Another thought! Ok, it’s a fair way away from Newton Stewart, but it’s also the final weekend of Glasgow’s massive "Celtic Connections" festival: well worth a visit, especially if you’ve not been before! Might depend on your means of transport or whether you’d want to stay over, but plenty of budget hotels and B&Bs in Glasgow. Mike McGoldrick in one of the Saturday concerts. Late night Festival club and sessions. Full programme here: www.celticconnections.com

Hey thanks Trish, great idea but we’re not staying long enough, we’re visiting friends and relations in the area; that’ll take up time and I wanted to do some walking too.

Thanks again, you’re very kind. I’ll probably ask around when I get there.

Not been mentioned but there are loads of good Scottish and Irish musicians who live around the Moniavie area and I believe sessions can crop up any time.

I’m sure some of of them will view this site but you can enquire at The Craig Darroch or George Hotel. They might be able to put you in touch with some of them.
Or maybe sites such as http://www.moniaivefolkfestival.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/516207438499853/about/ might be able to help?

That’s great Johnny Jay. Moniaive is only an hour from where we’re staying.

Thanks.

Saturday afternoon sessions in The Crown Hotel ,Newtown Stewart were superb and very welcoming 2/3 yrs ago-hopefully,still going strong…run by Billy Jones - a true gent and ace musician…details via the hotel,I’m sure… at the time Billy’s daughter was on of the Reception team and brilliantly set things up for the visit.Happy days! Good luck and enjoy the craic.

Dave

Have a look on the website for Newtonstewart Folk Festival - should give you a contact for Billy Jones or his son Nathon. Have a good time!

Thanks everyone, very useful.