How’s the Scottish Music course like in the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

How’s the Scottish Music course like in the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

Dear all,

I wonder if anyone here knows about the postgraduate program of Scottish Music in the RCS in Glasgow. According to the course structure, it is divided into two degrees: one-year Master of Art program and two-year Master of Music. I have no idea about it, and find no people talking about their learning experience there. Can anyone who knows it share more information about the course quality and how it is like? Especially the difference between MA and MMus? Thanks.

Re: How’s the Scottish Music course like in the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

The difference between MA and MMus is explained on the RCS website.

Go to
https://www.rcs.ac.uk/studyhere/how-to-apply/music/

and click on "Begin Your Applicant Journey Here" link,
then select options for Music, MMus/MA, and Scottish Music in the drop-down menus.

The various pages that follow explain the difference between MMus and MA. Click on the scroll bars at the side to get to following pages.

I have no idea about the current learning experience at RCS.

Let us know if this was useful.

Re: How’s the Scottish Music course like in the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

First - since the move to the Conservatoire system, the Scottish Music degrees have become much more performance focused. The first twenty years of the program churned out graduates who were fine musicians, but who spent an awful lot of their time writing essays on ethnographic stuff that means nothing to most of us. You may well get advice from people who still think this is what happens.

The post-grad programs are deliberately vague because they are very open minded about who they are for and how they are going to be used. The music teaching on the course is very similar to the undergrad program in terms of hours, if I recall correctly you are expected to be a little more independent as a learner.

My comment would be, the value of this course is in the people you meet and get to play music with, and the more time you get to spend with them, the better.

Josh Dickson is very friendly and I’d recommend shooting him your questions.

Posted by .

Thank you, Calum