Planning a few days in Belfast

Planning a few days in Belfast

Hi all !

My boyfriend and I will be spending a few days in Belfast next months, arriving on Wednesday night and leaving on Sunday. He’s an excellent flute player and hasn’t been in Ireland (North nor Rep) for ages for various reasons so we would like to make the most of our few days.
Would you have some good sessions to recommend? I tried the session search tool but I can’t be sure it’s up to date (I can see that Paris sessions would need a good update for example).

Thanks a lot for your enlightened advice!

Re: Planning a few days in Belfast

Hi Anne,

If you arrive on Wednesday night and leave on Sunday you only have Thursday, Friday and Saturday. So, lets starts:

-Thursday: Maddens Bar and Kelly’s have a really good session at night. Very good musicians and players. If it would be the last Thursday of the month you can go to the Errigle Inn, where you will find a really good open Session.
-Friday: Again Maddens usually has sessions on that night. However, Fridays are usually very crowd an noisy. But it is a really good session starting from 10pm (usually upstairs).
-Saturday: I would recommend you to go to Jonh Hewitt around 4:30pm. It is a really good session, you will find a lot and very good flute players. However, there are not too much room so try to be there soon enough.

There are more sessions running on those days, you can try the Garrick, Dirty Onion, Duke of York, etc. but I would recommend you the others Also, you might be interested on the Belfast Traditional Music Trail, have a look on internet if you are interested. Some of the best Belfast players run that trail. Send me a message if you need any other information.

Hope to see you over here soon.

Thank you Beleragor for your fantastic reply! I didn’t expect such a detailed guide, this is just perfect 🙂

Are there any Wednesday sessions just out of interest ?