The Lowlands of Fyvie-o

The Lowlands of Fyvie-o

I’ve been rehearsing The Bonnie Maid of Fyvie-o for a Burns Night concert (yes I know it’s not Irish, but if I look East from the Antrim coast I can see Scotland, so I think I’m OK!)
One verse has the line "the band played The Lowlands of Fyvie-o" but after searching here and elsewhere, I can’t find any trace of a tune of that name. Has anyone any input on a tune of that name? I’m thinking maybe it’s just a bit of poetic licence on the song writer’s part?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAEhf9NpvSY

Alex.

Re: The Lowlands of Fyvie-o

The line in question is at 3.05
Alex.

I think your lyrics have got twisted.

The band played The Bonnie Lass O’ Fyvie Oh, and a couple of verses later: And low lie the lowlands of Fyvie-o. But it is a song with a lot of versions, and things do get moved around just to make them scan.

Just another thought: If you’re playing for a Burns night, wouldn’t it be better to learn a Burns song?

it is here on the Session as a strathspey - look again

The Bonnie Lass is here, the Lowlands aren’t as far as I can see.

@christy taylor: the Bonnie lass is here, the lowlands of fyvie isn’t.
@Mark M: there’ll be haggis, there’ll be whisky, there’ll be Burns songs, scottish dancers, and irish songs & tunes and maybe irish dancers as well. But never mind that - we’ll throw ‘em all out and have the Scottish Pure Drappie! I’d like to sing one o’ Rabbie’s earthier ones but the committee won’t let me!
(I’m always up for a swig of Teacher’s!)
Alex.

Teachers? Cheap stuff! Drink a decent single for Rabbie’s sake! I go for Jura myself.

Possibly the nearest malt you’ll get to Fyvie is the very good Glen Garioch, produced in Oldmeldrum, just a wee bittie doon the road frae Fyvie. Also the Garioch (pron Gearie) comes into the song.

@trish santer: I’ll have to try a bottle of Glen Garioch!
Just home from the concert, we all had a great night. I did the address to a Haggis. The haggis in question came from McCartney’s butcher shop in Moira. Delicious! McCartney’s has won the UK Gold medal for sausages several times. So many times in fact that the Sassenachs tried to get them barred from the competition on the grounds that they are (allegedly) Irish. A wee geography lesson was given to the whingers, explaining just what exactly the United Kingdom is, and McCartneys won again.
Alex.