Concertina purchase question

Concertina purchase question

I have been playing a very nice inexpensive Stagi for a couple of years- it was nicely tuned and regulated by the Buttonbox in Massachussets USA, is the instrument I have been learning on with an excellent teacher who checked it out before I bought it and had BB do their magic, and is a very playable instrument. But the time has come to consider a step up. I am looking for advice on a good long term instrument that won’t require me to remortgage the house. 🙂 As much as I’d like it, Herself will not tolerate buying one of the excellent German concertinas the are running around $7 grand US and don’t have an Irish elderly relative who might bequeeth me the family Jeffries.

I would most appreciate advice from the the more experienced players as to what concertina makers would be worth exploring? I know BB has their in house brand which seems well received by several players I’ve talked to.

Thanks for any assistance?

Re: Concertina purchase question

What about something in the middle like this:
https://theboxplace.co.uk/product/lachenal40me/

Not top end but not one of the “hybrids”

I’ve played the button box ones and they are great. You will find them a big improvement over a Stagi.

Posted by .

I like the Morse, from BB, very much. Light, good sound, good volume, plays with good response. The people at the BB are great to deal with.

I agree with David ("Hi, David"). I started with a Rochelle and within a month I knew I wanted something better, so I got a Morse Ceili. I’ve been quite pleased with it. I’ve been playing it for 4 or 5 years. You can probably resell it for a good price if you decide to upgrade even further.

Email: jthomas@thomasconcertinas. com. Phone: 240-522-7631. Post: Thomas Concertinas. 504 E Oldtown Rd. Cumberland, MD. 21502. USA.

I purchased a Frank Edgely last year and have been very pleased. He offers many choices of materials, etc. Prices are similar to Morse. He also has some great instructional materials available.

Thanks for the good advice! A friend advised she plays a Carroll. Again in the refinance the house price range 🙂
Pretty instrument nonetheless

I’ve had a Morse Ceili C/G Anglo concertina (already mentioned here several times) for about 10 years, and I’ve yet to "outgrow it". They are a good choice, I think.

There’s a new German maker - 7 Mount. They make affordable ‘real’ concertinas,
not hybrids. I want to get one myself if I can get some money together. Not as many
options as you’d get with Suttner, Wakker and others.

http://sevenmount.de/?page_id=32

Two of the concertina makers mentioned here, The Irish Concertina Company with their Vintage model, and 7 Mount, use factory Eastern European concertina reeds. This isn’t to say that they are better or worse, just a different system from other makers who make their own reeds.

7mount are nice instruments, I have tried two in Germany last year and the C/G was lovely, I would like to get one in Bb/F as soon as money allow.

I have to disagree with Eastern European category though. The reeds are made in Czech republic in city of Louny, which is 300km to the west of Vienna. Well yes, I am from Czech rep myself 😉 and we tend to see ourselves as central European. The company http://www.harmonikas.cz/en makes range of reeds for accordions up to very high standard and they produce concertina reeds in the last few years too. Btw Jürgen Suttner get semi-made reeds from them too, doing some adjustment (won’t bore you with details, but ask/PM me if you would like to know more).

Posted by .

I took delivery of a Wolverton concertina last year from the maker Jake Middleton. Its a hybrid but you’ll struggle to get anything as good for the money. I had a choice of layouts and various options are available. I dont know if his prices have increased since but mine was £1500. I absolutely love it

The Morse has a few advantages—In the states so shipping is easy, it’s a nice sounding, responsive instrument, the BB trade in policy is excellent, buttons easy on the fingers, lovely looking, BB folks are the tops!

I have one, btw. It is my step-up instrument. I may someday win the lottery and buy something with real concertina reeds, but until then I’n totally satisfied.