Accordion Repairs Glasgow

Accordion Repairs Glasgow

I’ve come into posession of a C#/D Paulo Soprani box that has sadly not been played for the last two and a half-ish years. It’s in a bit of a state. One of the buttons doesn’t work at all and a couple make strange rattling noises. I’d like to get it working again, so does anyone know of a good accordion doctor in Glasgow?

Re: Accordion Repairs Glasgow

In Glasgow, either John Carmichael, or Frazer Mclellan know what they are doing. Google either name with the word “accordion” for contact details.

The next question will be what do I do with it.

It’s a beautiful instrument, an old Paolo that’s been converted to C#/D. I want to see if I can learn to hammer out a few tunes on it, but I doubt I have the time/motivation to learn to play it as well as I can play the pipes. It’s such a nice box, though, it seems selfish keeping it when I could sell it to someone who can actually play it.

In horses, people will talk about a talented, athletic horse being “wasted” if it has an owner who only wants to potter about on trails and not push to the upper levels of dressage/showjumping/eventing/whatever. The counterargument is that the horse doesn’t care – so long as it’s being looked after and treated well, it doesn’t sit around saying to its pasture mates, “I should have been in the Olympics….”

I doubt the accordion thinks, “I could have been played by Jacky Daly…” I doubt an accordion thinks at all (not like the pipes…they think, “Nah… I’m not gonna be in tune today”).

@SilverSpear

About four years ago I was given an old beaten-up Hohner B/C button accordian. It was in one hell of a state: rattling buttons, some notes not playing, leaky bellows - and even the grille was furred up with rust!

As it stood, it was totally useless - so what to do? Notwithstanding that my knowledge of such instruments (at that time) was absolute zero, I decided to have a go at restoring it. Nothing to lose, I thought. I obtained all the parts I needed (and lots of useful advice) from Charlie Marshall (as recommended by Creadur).

Was I successful? Yes I was! (albeit after many hours of work). The task involved fitting new springs, re-taping the bellows, fitting new straps - and of course cleaning off the rusty grille and repainting it.

Having restored it, I thought (like you) I might like to have a go at playing it. I quickly got the hang of up-and-down-the-row playing, but couldn’t master the across-the-rows fingering needed for the usual session keys. So I bought a G-D-A melodeon and learned to play that instead. That wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t restored the button accordian - thus proving the old adage that no experience is ever wasted!

Most jobs on button accordians/melodeons are within the scope of a good DIYer. The one exception would be re-tuning the metal reeds.

> I doubt I have the time/motivation to learn to play it as well as I can play the pipes

I’m sure you’re well aware of the substantial numbers of pipemakers who are for some reason highly proficient on squeezy instruments of one sort or another…

Can only speak for myself, but I recently acquired a fairly poor B/C box, which no amount of attention could make good, and mucking about with it is lots of fun, and reprogramming my musical brain (such as it is). Can’t expect I’ll ever be brilliant on it, but it’s worthwhile.

Posted by .

“Most jobs on button accordians/melodeons are within the scope of a good DIYer. The one exception would be re-tuning the metal reeds.”

Yeah, but I’m a shight DYer. Ikea furniture can flummox me.

I don’t think it is selfish to keep it, it’s yours. And I wouldn’t think of it as wasted - instruments aren’t like horses that have a limited lifespan, you can keep it for as long as it pleases you and still sell it on to someone who might make better use of it when/if you get bored with it.