Keyboard beginner - resources?

Keyboard beginner - resources?

I’ve just got my hands on a melodica, but I’m a keyboard newbie and I’m wondering how best to get myself proficient in the correct fingering, and other essentials. I’m a bit crap at learning three-dimensional skills from books, I’d prefer video. (Ideally, actual lessons, but I’m skint.) Can anyone recommend a good tutorial resource?

Posted by .

Re: Keyboard beginner - resources?

There seems to be plenty of info on Youtube Nell. Just type in Melodica tutorials and take your pick.
Alex.

For the fundamentals of fingering, you’d do just as well if not better to look up piano tutorials - there’ll be more out there, especially handling the finer points of technique. Just learning to finger the relevant scales and arpeggios will set you on the right track.

Bear in mind that there are two types of melodica: those that have a keyboard like a piano (or RH of a piano accordion), designed to be played single-handed and those that have their black and white keys pivoted in opposing directions, designed for the RH to play the white keys and the LH, the black. I am assuming that the one in question is of the former type - the latter seems rather impractical and I think of it more as a toy than a serious instrument (although I have no doubt that there are some players out thre that could dispel my prejeudice at a stroke).

@CreadurMawnOrganig:I am assuming that the one in question is of the former type - the latter seems rather impractical and I think of it more as a toy than a serious instrument (although I have no doubt that there are some players out thre that could dispel my prejeudice at a stroke).
🙂 Jean Batiste, the leader of ‘Stay Human’, the ‘house band’ for Stephen Colbert’s Late Show (USA), would certainly fill this bill. He said he took up the insrument ‘because you can’t carry a piano in a parade in New Orleans’. He is an amazing keyboard player. On a parallel note, his band has a ‘horn’ player’ who is an accomplished tin whistler who shows his stuff occasionally.
Jean Batiste has an amazing collection of melodicas, with various voicings, including one enormous instrument spanning what appears to be three and a half to four octaves.

@postie: You misunderstand me. Jean Batiste plays the ‘piano’ type of melodica - and certainly secures its credentials as a serious instrument. My comment regarding ‘impractical’ and ‘toy’ was in reference to the *other* type, like this: https://tinyurl.com/y983fpm5 . It is impractical because both hands are used simultaneously support and hold the instrument, like a whistle or saxophone, but, unlike those instruments, where the hands always stay in the same position, the hands need to change position in order to reach all the notes - which would be difficult to do without dropping the instrument. You *could* play it single handed, piano-fashion, but it would be awkward as the black keys rock in the wrong direction for the right hand.