Guitar Cd’s?

Guitar Cd’s?

Can You recommend and good cds were a guitarist is picking out the tunes?

I know Tony McManus and Arty McGlynn already 🙂

Thanks a lot!

Posted by .

Re: Guitar Cd’s?

Dick Gaughan - Coppers and Brass

Shane McGowan (the *other* one!), although best known as a backer, is a fine tune player. I don’t know whether he has released any solo recordings. The trouble is, when you google his name, all you get is the black-toothed, liquor-soaked (yet nonetheless talented) Pogues frontman.

Contemporary Irish Guitar by Dave Flynn.
Fantastic album !

I don’t think you can do much better that Chris Newman. He mostly plays with brilliant harpist Maire na Chathersaigh.

John Doyle backs McCusker and McGoldrick a lot, but he’s a damn fine picker in his own right. And i’ll endorse Dick Gaughan’s Coppers and Brass anytime.

Arty McGlynn is, well, God. McGlynn’s Fancy has a load of tunes plus a few songs. The playing is stunning and he has no backing (except for an occasional drone, or himself) so you can hear everything super-clearly.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned "Masters of the Irish Guitar".
https://thesession.org/recordings/1993
It’s a great place to start as it has a lot of the very best - some already mentioned.

Seamie O’Dowd has a great album with keiran Quinn also frankie simon has recently rereleased an Irish guitar album

William Coulter has done some very nice Irish traditional music. He mainly plays in DADGAD.

Dáithí Sproule (also mainly DADGAD) of Altan is another very good ITM guitar player.

Knowing the melodies is crucial, even if playing accompaniment. Goes for bodhran as well as guitar.

Posted by .

Randal Bay’s album Oyster Light is superb. He’s a really fantastic guitar player. He’s playing fingerstyle, I think.
It’s surprisingly not listed here.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/randalbays5

If you want to look outside the Irish genre, there are some fantastic Breton guitarists out there; Soig Siberil and Gilles Le Bigot, for example.

The best guitar picker by a long way is Canadian J.P. Cormier, and he’s a mean fiddler, singer,mandolin,banjo player too.

I agree Wiseman, the ultimate collection of trad guitarists is found on the CD The Masters of Irish Guitar…..great individual styles from several trad guitarists.

TIM EDEY