Ceol & Teanga Opportunity in Conamara

Ceol & Teanga Opportunity in Conamara

Hello. I’m an Irish American living in Galway’s Gaeltacht community, the historic Ros Muc, next to the Pearse Museum. I’m a reasonably short bus trip into the heart of Galway city. I have passion for literature & scholarship in both languages. I play fiddle with a concentration on Carolan’s repertoire, and I enjoy composing tunes. Over the years I’ve developed a number of methods for picking up the Irish language. If you’re interested in spending a stretch of time in Conamara or in playing a few tunes by the fire, I can offer lessons or collaboration. The cottage has three rooms. You’re welcome to rent one for whatever period we agree. Feel free to contact me at keanebusiness@gmail.com to discuss possibilities.

Is Gael-Méiriceánach mé i mo chonai anseo i Ros Muc, Conamara. Tá trí seomra agam i Tighín (teolaí) a fháil le daoine ag staidéar an teanga nó ceol Ghaelach. Is fidileoir mé le suim mhór ar an réimse Uí Cearbhalláin. Ar mhaith leat trácht a chaitheamh in aice leis an Teach Phiarsach, is féidir liom seomra dhuit a thaibhairt.

Re: Ceol & Teanga Opportunity in Conamara

Sounds gorgeous. If I could ditch the kids I’d be there in a heartbeat!

Just noticed your name. My youngest boy is Brendan too. (how irrelevant I know, sorry!)

Do you play The Returned Yank as well? :)

Ah sure, good luck with the venture. Though Rosmuc wouldn’t be natural Carolan country I’d have thought. Wasn’t he more of a man for the teach mórs?

I live in a part of Ros Muc called Turloċ. Carolan has a lovely air ascribed to him called Caoineadh Tiarna Gaillmhe, the Lament for Lord Galway, but also a great composition commemorating a very down to earth affair called O’Rourke’s Feast, which Jonathan Swift attended and wrote words to. Carolan bridged the gap between sídh beag & sídh mór, Baltimore & Ballybeg, high & low. I think this is why he inspired his friend Swift to be so gracious to the native poor All very welcome, ‘Yanks’ especially so.