That low whistle key you can touch with GBH?

That low whistle key you can touch with GBH?

I’ve seen several videos of Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton and I don’t know what low whistle key they play together

Re: That low whistle key you can touch with GBH?

Depends on the video. I do know they play Low E but I think also Low F. Can you send me a link to a specific video.

That’s a mysterious question. Do you mean GHB? Is it an in-joke among bagpipers?

If you are asking about whistle keys that are compatible with the bagpipes (at their standard pitch of Bb[-ish]), I would say either Bb or Eb. With the Bb, you would have to ‘fold’ the bottom Ab; the Eb gives you the full range of the chanter. F and C could also work, but would be more awkward because of half-holes.

Having read your question more carefully: I don’t know whether Bb counts as a ‘low whistle key’, since a Bb whistle is only a 3rd lower than the standard D - and a proper low Bb (an octave below) is a rare thing to find, since, I imagine, not many people have big enough hands to play one. So a low Eb is probably what you are looking for.

I only understand "Grievous Bodily Harm" by this acronym, but it can’t be right here. Can it?

You can definitely inflict GBH with one of those heavy Chieftain low whistles - I have, on at least one occasion, wielded one in self-defence (while busking late at night during my younger years)!

For anyone genuinely confused, the OP means great highland bagpipe.

Posted by .

This question comes up often.

One issue to be aware of is that the standard modern GHB (Great Highland Bagpipe) pitch is very sharp, almost exactly between B flat and B natural (that is, a quartertone between Bb and B natural).

Most pipe bands and solo pipers being around A=453 with the top bands being higher around A=455 to A=457.

Special chanters are made to play at Concert Bb (that is, Concert Pitch, A=440).

Unless the piper you’re going to play with has a special Concert Bb chanter, you’re going to need a very high-pitched whistle.

The other matter is gamut or tessitura. I wouldn’t want to play a Bb whistle along with the pipes because for me the sweet spot in whistles is around the G to G range (as called on a D whistle for convenience).

I’d want an F whistle, where the piper’s "Low A" (actually Bb) or six-finger note is my "G" or three-finger note.

Then I’d put tape over my "F#" hole (Hole 4) so that "F natural" emitted (named as on a D whistle) giving me the piper’s "Low G" (actually A flat).

If I had to play with a piper on a regular basis I’d probably make (or have made) a special F dorian body for my F whistle, giving me
xxx xxx F
xxx xxo G
xxx xoo Ab
xxx ooo Bb
xxo ooo C
xoo ooo D
oxx ooo Eb

Yes I could use an Eb whistle but that puts me playing all the time in the key of A (named as on a D whistle) having an open C# (named as on a D whistle) tricky to cut and roll on.

"I’d put tape over my "F#" hole (Hole 4) so that "F natural" emitted (named as on a D whistle) giving me the piper’s "Low G" (actually A flat). "

Don’t you mean hole *2* (counting from the bottom)? I’ve just given it a try on a D Generation. It’s terribly confusing - I keep having to restrain myself from half-holing the F-natural. All too much for a string player’s brain ;-) - but it seems like a good solution if you can adapt to it.

I wasn’t confused - I really had no idea!

Personally I would always use and Eb for pipe tunes. It’s in the perfect range and has a brighter timbre than the G shaped scale on the F. Ross and Ali, as well as most highland pipers in Scotland would almost always use an Eb for pipe tunes. The c# triplet is pretty simple to tongue.

Many want thank all for your answers. I was with that it could be a low Eb. The video to which Mehabia fixed is this.

Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton - Strathspeys and reels in youtube
https://youtu.be/j7hLjIrCovA