Flute and whistle records?

Flute and whistle records?

I was thinking about this earlier and it dawned on me that I can’t think of a single record that features flute and whistle duets. It seems like this would be a great combination. That’s not necessarily ‘duet’ as in those two instruments unaccompanied, just those two instruments being the only melody instruments. Any recommendations?

Re: Flute and whistle records?

Laurence Nugent - Traditional Irish Music on Flute and Tin Whistle
Frankie Gavin - Croch suas e

There’s a couple…
m.d.

I don’t know of a whole album, but as I recall, the two Mick O’Brien & Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh records "Kitty Lie Over" and "Deadly Buzz /Aoibhinn Crónán" both have several flute and whistle duets.

Actually, Mick and Caoimhin have *whistle* duets, and one track with F flute and Hardaanger, but no whistle & flute duets.

I also don’t know any recordings of flute & whistle - interesting.

Posted by .

Don’t Flook do that all the time with Brian Finnegan on whistle and Sarah Allen on flute?

https://thesession.org/recordings/113

‘Tin Whistles’ - Paddy Moloney and Sean Potts, of The Chieftains, playing scintillating solos and duets on whistles of various keys. I assume their whistles were of the Generation make, the mainstay variety in the era of the recording (the 1970s). No other instrument except the odd bit of bodhran. Thoroughly recommended, if still obtainable.

So it looks like Laurence Nugent alternates between flute and whistle, unless he overdubs one on top of the other? I would be very interested in hearing more of Frankie Gavin’s flute playing.The listing here doesn’t mention a whistler though. Can anyone tell me who it is, if they are on a good few of the tracks, and if the record is still in print? Other than that we have a couple of whistle duets, and it looks like I’m off to give Flook a fresh ear.

Frankie Gavin plays whistle - but again, probably not at the same time as the flute.

https://thesession.org/recordings/945

Frankie’s is as good an Irish flute album as was ever recorded, IMHO. The 2nd last track is solo whistle. There is some double-tracking of flute and fiddle on other tracks. There is no flute / whistle track.
Larry Nugent has some double-tracks of flute and whistle together, but not that many on the 4 albums of his I’ve heard.
There is no flute at all on Potts and Moloney’s "Tin Whistles" - just whistles and bodhran.
So the answer to the original question is there are none, apart from "Flook", [ as far as the members of "thesession.org have heard ].

Posted by .

Can’t think of a commercial recording that is all whistle and flute together duets. But there are a few good tracks like Micho and Cathal that you can hear on some recordings.
There are relatively few recordings of flute and pipe duets as well.
On Common Ground is a nice exception.
As far as two flutes Harry Bradley and Michael Clarksons duet album is brilliant.

Posted by .

& John Skelton & Kieran O’Hare’s albums have 2 flutes or 2 whistles, not 1 of each, as far as I can tell. Some 2nd octave flute work against the other, though.

nicholas: "‘Tin Whistles’ - Paddy Moloney and Sean Potts, of The Chieftains, playing scintillating solos and duets on whistles of various keys. I assume their whistles were of the Generation make, the mainstay variety in the era of the recording (the 1970s). No other instrument except the odd bit of bodhran. Thoroughly recommended, if still obtainable".

Still obtainable (from Claddagh records):

http://claddaghrecords.com/index.php/paddy-moloney-sean-potts-tin-whistles.html