seisiun recommendations

seisiun recommendations

So I get to visit Ireland this summer (June 26 to July 8) and I would like recommendations of friendly sessions for an intermediate B/C box player. I had a really good time in in Ennis and Doolin nine years ago and plan to head back there, but I do have a car and can go anywhere. I have a good repertoire of trad tunes and have played for years with my two local groups so I know seisiun etiquette. Also, if fellow musos would like to host me, I wouldn’t complain (I am a fairly good cook).

Re: seisiun recommendations

Check Miltown Malbay.

Miltown

Ennis, Doolin and Miltown Malbay? There are 31 other counties and lots of local sessions in areas not generally associated with crème-de-la crème exponents of the tradition. You’ll find plenty of them listed here. However, here’s a few you might try. You won’t need to go cap in hand, you’ll get a warm welcome and you’ll be asked to start a few sets to boot.
The Emerald Bar, Ballinasloe - Friday 9.30pm
Clarke’s, Lanesboro, Co Longford - Wednesday night 10.00 or later… worth the wait!
Rouse’s, Ballina, Co Mayo - Thursday 10.00pm
Cruiser‘s, Foxford, Co Mayo - Sunday 10.00pm
The Lough Inn, Partry, Co Mayo - last Friday of the month 10.00pm
The Valkenburg Hotel, Ballinrobe, Co Mayo - second Saturday of the month 10.00pm
You’ve got a relatively short while here, however, so the Miltown Malbay suggestion is certainly worth considering if you’re looking for immersion. Mayo is a fantastic county though, so give it a go if you can. I don’t mean to criticise Matt Molloy’s, perish the thought, but I’ve heard the we-went-to-Matt Molloy’s-it-was-wedged refrain once too often. Lanesboro is a bit off the beaten track if you’re on limited time - that’s a real pity, as this is Irish trad with joy and banter and barrels of fun.
Send us a message here nearer the time, and if we’re around….