Summer school suggestions 2018

Summer school suggestions 2018

My daughters and I are considering attending a summer school in Ireland. Ideally the summer school would have a separate children’s program (ages 9 and 11, normal trad instruments) and the classes would be held within walking distance of each other. I can’t make the weeks of Willie Week or the Fleadh. I’ve never been to Ireland so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Summer school suggestions 2018

Have a look at the following list.
http://www.irishmusicmagazine.com/links/festivals/
You do not say what Instruments and what level your daughters are at. Many of the larger festivals have a number of tutors on each instrument to cater for the different ability levels. i.e Joe Mooney festival in Drumshanbo takes children from as young as six and covers all the major instruments it also has 3 Uilleann pipe classes you might enjoy.
Hope you find something and enjoy the experience.

Posted by .

I am a fan of the Joe Mooney Summer School in Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim http://joemooneysummerschool.com (21st-28th July this year). I like it for its relative smallness and intimacy (as compared to Willie Clancy), the friendliness of the local people (Several times, I have pitched my tent on the edge of a housing estate and the residents have been completely accepting - one even bringing out a flask of tea a few times!) and the beauty of the surrounding area. Although the week attracts musicians from all over Ireland and beyond, Leitrim has a discernible style of its own, light and upbeat but not frantic.

I don’t know about a special children’s program but, like at any Irish Traditional Music summer school, the classes are graded from (almost) beginner to advanced, and the lower-level classes tend to be dominated by children. From my observation, I don’t think the Tradtional Music community sees any need to place children in a separate category - if you can play a few tunes, you’re a musician, whether 7 or 70.

Yes Drumshanbo is great for kids. I’ve missed it the last two years but I brought my boys from when they were 6. I’ll be there this year with my younger two. There is a good range of classes and a lot of kids attend so there’s plenty of company for them . They also do a kids concert where the kids can put their names down to take part if they like.

Thank you to everyone who responded. Not sure this is the year, but still helpful.

Just reviving this thread. Your ringing endorsement of the Joe Mooney summer school has inspired me to get the time off and go along. I was trying to register there but only option is to send a cheque (!!!??) by post or go along on the day and register then. I don’t own a cheque book (I know sometime who was laughed out of it recently when he approached the bank teller with such an antiquated notion!) and I’d be nervous of just showing up on the day. After organising time off, babysitter, accommodation etc, would I be guaranteed they wouldn’t be full up???

"I’d be nervous of just showing up on the day … would I be guaranteed they wouldn’t be full up???"

I think they manage to squeeze people in - I have never heard of anyone being turned away due to lack of space. But I can understand why you wouldn’t want to take the risk. Have you tried contacting the organisers by phone http://joemooneysummerschool.com/contact-us/ ? I’m sure they’d be happy to make some sort of other arrangements - either another payment method or holding the places for you and taking payment on your arrival.

…It is probably not that they don’t have the wherewithal to take other forms of payment so much as they have not quite caught up with the fact that many people don’t have a chequebook nowadays

You’re right, I’ll contact them. Looking forward to this now!!