Fleadh tunes

Fleadh tunes

I’ll be entering the bleach in concertina This year and I am looking for some nice jigs and reels. I’m more into happier tunes if you know what I mean, so if you have any suggestions please let me know, thanks a million :)

Re: Fleadh tunes

Ones you know well and can play inside out?

Kilcash is right on. Don’t bother starting to learn anything new for this year’s Fleadh. Pick something you already know well and prepare it for competition. You want to be able to just go into the room and execute without thinking about things too much.

"… entering the bleach in concertina …"

No! Don’t put bleach in your concertina - it’ll never sound the same again! ;-)

But, predictive text errors aside, I will back up the previous two posters - don’t go looking for a whole new set of tunes. I will, however suggest that you avoid any tunes that feel ‘boring’ or ‘tired’ to you - perhaps use ones you have learned more recently that still excite you. They don’t need to be complicated or difficult - it’s what you do with them that’s important. It is pointless asking here for specific tune recommendations since we don’t know what tunes you know or what tunes you like (and there’s no point in playing tunes you don’t like).

Competitive playing makes for interesting approaches to music for sure. Personally I think that as music is ultimately about expression and the best music is the stuff that speaks the most to us it is pretty much impossible for anyone to suggest what will be the best tune for someone to take to a competition, without familiarity with both the player and the competition. What can be suggested though is what everyone else is doing and you’ll find no end of opinion about that.

https://thesession.org/discussions/search?q=fleadh%20tunes

Which tune(s) would you play if you took up your instrument right now? To me, that’s your strong repertoire. Same thing if somebody woke you up in the middle of the night and asked you to play something.