Tunes on St Patrick’s Day.

Tunes on St Patrick’s Day.

There cannot be many things more appropriate to do on March the seventeenth than play some tunes in a traditional style session with one’s mates.
BUT finding a venue to do such a thing is becoming increasingly difficult year by year.
Due to the promotion of ‘Paddy’s Day’ as a jolly good excuse for ‘amateur drinkers’ of all persuasions to go and get enebriated has meant most pubs where we normally play are crammed with drunk shouty idiots with comedy hats and a stupid ‘Everyone’s Irish Today’ attitude.
This year (2018) it is made even worse by being on a Saturday (at least if it falls in the week there’s a chance of an afternoon sesh) and because there is a ‘important’ England versus Ireland butch sporty/ footbally thing which will be on the TVs in pubs and will cause amplification of the pseudo-nationalistic raucous drunken behaviour.
Little chance for six or seven people with acoustic instruments sitting down and playing tunes!!
Hurrumph.

Re: Tunes on St Patrick’s Day.

Have you ever been in Dublin for Paddy’s Day? The city centre hosts carnage on a scale that leaves London’s Notting Hill Carnival looking like a kids birthday party! The city centre’s gutters flow with more pee, puke and blood than you’ll ever see anywhere else, with drunks collapsed in the middle of the street and fights every hundred yards…

Maybe someone with better organisational skills than myself could arrange some kind of annual Paddy’s Day session.orgy where members here could get together in a private venue for tunes and pints. I’ll bring my hot water bottle and some spare wig glue!

I’m just happy to hear that St. Patrick’s Day is actually a thing in Ireland and not just some minor holiday that we Americans blew out of proportion. Just like I’m always interested to know whether actual Irish people drink Guinness.

I know some ‘actual Irish p1eople’ and some do, indeed, drink Guinness.

I’ve been known to drink the stuff myself, but if it’s a pint of the black stuff you’re after, Beamish is much nicer than Guinness, and there are heaps of smaller Irish breweries making even nicer stuff.

Roughly 175 million pints of Guinness are sold per year in Ireland, so yes, actual Irish people do drink Guinness. Though that figure includes tourists.

Paddy’s Day celebrations in Birmingham are on a big, big scale. They are in financial straits because the whole thing extends over several days and it’s hard to finance floats, displays, dancing. There’s a big Irish population in B’ham. Tune that reminds me of March 17th is St Patrick’s Breastplate, setting of very old poem some think St Patrick had a hand in writing.

In my experience, in Scotland St. Patricks day is used by publicans for promotions and drinkers as an extra excuse to get pissed. I don’twant to speak for Ireland but I reckon it’s generally pretty similar.

Just back from a week in Dublin, so sounds like we had a lucky escape! Certainly the shops were full of all sorts of stuff for kitting yourself out as an orange, white and green eejit. Saturday night was a bit wild after the rugby triumph!

Anyone remember the year that all them kids took over Stephen’s Green on St. Patrick’s Day? (I think they used bike locks to lock the gates).

You think paddy’s days bad go to the Willie Clancy years ago if you got into a pub you’d have to squeeze through a herd of farmers with hand like shovels and backs like Buffalo’s to get the bar for pint bye the you get back to your seat the pint is gone you’d want to sit up on a step ladder at the bar to drink it they were the good old days great music

St Patrick’s Day history is interesting. From what I find on the interweb:

1631: St Patrick’s Saint day is recognised by the Vatican

1737: Boston St Patrick’s day parade begins

1760s: New York St Patrick’s day parade begins

2nd half of the 19th century: Dublin’s social elite attend a grand ball at Dublin Castle

1904: St Patrick’s Day becomes a public holiday in Ireland

1920s through 1950s: Dublin military parade on St Patrick’s Day. In the 1960s this became an ordinary parade with floats etc.

c1970: pubs begin staying open

1996: Dublin establishes St Patrick’s Festival which includes a parade

BTW the USA has 21 Dublins.

If you can make it to East Croydon train station, there’s an informal beginner’s session at The Orchard pub. Running from 4.30ish for a bit of a practice and then session proper from 6-8. It’s about 10 minute’s walk from the station. I’m not sure how noisy it’s going to be but at least the rugby will have finished!

About myself playing tunes on the day, for people like myself who play the big pipes here in the USA the day is our biggest money-maker. A piper can make $1,000 or more if he has enough gigs.

I’ve done as many as seven gigs on the day, as few as one.

I’ve spent the day exclusively in kilts playing Highland pipes, and the day exclusively in trousers playing the uilleann pipes. Usually I end up with a mix of the two sorts of gigs.

For over a decade I’ve done the same early evening gig, playing at a small house party. It keeps me out of the pubs, it gets me in bed fairly early.

The bar man who happily welcomed us in to play every other Sunday has asked us to play a few tunes after the rugby.

While I’m a little anxious about the mentalness, not being a big drinker anymore, it would not be right to let him down, so we’re wading in at six.

I’ve reasoned that there’s a fair chance people will be loud, which will just let me try a few new tunes with no pressure of audience !!!!

I walked into the usual session pub fancying a tune, it being a rare Saturday I wasn’t up a mountain. You could not get through the door or to the bar, or stand in one place for the one and a half minutes it takes to work out there’s no room in a session without people thrusting you aside in their sweaty, desperate stagger to the toilet. It was mosh pit reeking with the acrid air of booze and body odour. And it was only 4pm. I turned and ran the other way. Screw you, St. Patrick’s Day.

That said, with the winning combination of the Ireland-England and usual St. Patrick’s pissing-and-vomiting-in-the-street debauchery, the city centre of Glasgow should probably be avoided like plague anyway.

I meant Ireland-England rugby game.