Old Hag

Old Hag

The old hag needs a new wardrobe, so, for a bit of April foolery what tunes titles can we think of for her.

I’ll start off with Ladies Pantaletes, and to replace the Old Torn Petticoat we can offer her a Red Petticoat or, if she pleases, The White Petticoat.

Can we get a new outfit for her, who’s next?

Re: Old Hag

"The Green Lady" because she’d always wear a green coat. There was one such in Kirkwall, Orkney who regularly shoplifted in charity shops. "Here comes the Green Lady" - a warning cry to keep watch on the proud woman. Eventually she was hospitalised in Aberdeen.

Connemara Stockings

Given the current unseasonable weather, I’d recommend Frieze Breeches, a Munster Cloak (probably warmer than a Spanish one), a Bonnet, Tied - and, if I may be so bold as to cross the Irish Sea, Three Jolly Sheepskins for good measure.

Bonnet trimmed in blue?

"Short coated Mary" - popular ceilidh tune in Scotland?

BTW online there’s an interesting interview with Allan MacDonald (Highland piper and native Gaelic speaker) about the Highland piobaireachd, and song, usually called in English "the old woman’s lullaby" which in Gaelic (spelt an amazingly large number of different ways) "cronan na chailleach sa bheinn bhreic" where he discusses the difficulty of translating the title into English.

This "woman of the speckled mountains" is something of a deer-goddess who even today protects the deer from hunters by sending down a mist upon the hills. Not quite the image I get from "old hag".

The Black Stripper - who needs new clothes?

Posted .

The mason’s apron?

But does she really need to replace Her Mantle So Green?

The Girl with the Blue Dress On

"Black Stripper" v. good though being an old hag, she prob. wouldn’t want to reveal herself any more (I know the feeling).

Whatever she’s wearing, make sure she has ‘Money in both pockets